Ballast / Crushed Stone Pricing is up, uP, UP

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Ballast / Crushed Stone Pricing is up, uP, UP

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 pm Ryan, Down here (Seattle) Cadman aggregate just quoted $31.60/ton for 3/4” minus, plus $300 per load for the truck. So nearly $600 per 10 yard load. We need 250 yards minimum for 3000’ ROW. Half the cost is in the trucking. (Based on 1 yd = 1.4tons)

One thing all the yards said is one long trailer carrying 28-30yards cuts the cost by 1/3 formthe trucking. Unfortunately, we can’t get a long trailer into the parcel we are looking at. So only can use dumptrucks. It’s a killer, unless we can find someone to volunteer to haul the gravel in.

Glenn
Do they not have a transfer? I can't get a trailer into my property either, but our vendor has a setup like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Obhi1kjHM&t=13s

They just park it down the street, dump the first load, and go grab the other one and repeat.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Ballast / Crushed Stone Pricing is up, uP, UP

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, not that anyone has said. Looks like a very good idea though. Mostly what I’ve seen on the streets are the long bed 30 yard dump trailers and a few tandem rigs,...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....