Evolution of an idea

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Evolution of an idea

Post by OddDuck »

About six or seven years ago I made a pattern to cast track gauges. Cast a set at the time and machined them to use on a friend's track. They were just the typical drop them over the head of the rails style. They worked fine, and I kinda forgot about it for a while.
Fast forward to this past fall, I bought some rail to start my own backyard layout, and dug that pattern out again.
And, of course, I looked at it and thought, I can improve that. I added a spring loaded clamp to the outside of the gauge to hold the rail against the gauge. It worked pretty good, really. So, of course, I put it on my Facebook page to show it and see if there was any interest. I didn't think there would be, I mean, how hard is it to make a track gauges?
Surprisingly, there was quite a bit. Being Mr. Improvey-pants, I rethought the idea to make it one-handed operation. Much head-scratchery and some pattern making later, the Grip Gauge was born. I love it when an idea I have works exactly the way I thought it would. It's total overkill, but hey, why not?
Here's a video of it in action ( kinda, sorta) and here's a pic of all three versions.

https://youtu.be/D24HM47a1BQ

I will be selling these, assembled and ready to go, in your choice of gauge. I have about a dozen pairs of side frames cast, I have to tweak the internal parts patterns a bit and cast those. Hopefully by sometime next week I'll have them ready for sale.
Attachments
IMG_20210312_193528134~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
PRR5406

Re: Evolution of an idea

Post by PRR5406 »

ODF makes some really cool stuff simply because Pete takes the time to "fig'ger it out". These are easy to use, are cast with the gauge you request already in the center-spread bar. They hold tightly and make setting up track pretty simple. Pete needs to re-title the offering so people know specifically what the item is! Also, I'll suggest he specifies the available gauge measurements available.
Talk to the Duck.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

It was a beautiful day today, and I didn't feel like doing anything particularly important. So, I figured, why not test out the Grip Gauges, test my rail bender, and get a start on my track.
I bent about a dozen pieces of track, and the bender worked like a champ.
My method of track building is building it in place, I laid out ties where I was going to put the track. I then put the outside track down, and screwed it in place. This is where the Grip Gauges come into play. I set the inside track in place, and starting at one end I set the gauge and screwed the second rail down. I moved the gauges as I worked my way along, the Grip feature made for very easy operation. Did twenty feet of track, only 700 or so feet to go. So, the gauges have been tested, and work exactly as advertised.
Attachments
IMG_20210320_162247960~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

It's been a little while, but I am finally finishing up a run of these. They will be ready by the end of the weekend. I will have 8 or 9 pair available, of which 3 pair are already spoken for. If you are interested, they will be $55 a pair, plus shipping ( medium flat rate box...). All I need to know is what gauge (7 1/4" to 7 5/8") and what the width of your railhead is.
Attachments
IMG_20210628_150553498.jpg