GE 23 Ton Boxcab Drawings Source

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Matt.Starman

GE 23 Ton Boxcab Drawings Source

Post by Matt.Starman »

Hi all,

I’m trying to find a source for drawings of a GE 23 ton boxcab to use as a starting point for a locomotive I want to build. I’ve tried the CA State Railroad Museum, RR Museum of PA, and the CO RR Museum with no luck. Does anyone know of a good source that may have these drawings? The specific locomotive I’m looking at is here: sbiii.com/jfcageir/ageir41.html but at this point any similar 23 ton locomotive will probably work. Thank you in advance!
Matt Starman

Greenleaf Locomotive Works
Greenleaf, Idaho
Glenn Brooks

Re: GE 23 Ton Boxcab Drawings Source

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Matt, welcome to Chaski. I couldn’t get your link to open. You might double check the link to see if it is publishing outside your system...

box cabs are pretty popular with forum members, so someone should be able to assist.

Also, might be helpful if you gave us a few more details about how you would like to power it. ICE’s and electric motors sometimes require different frame arrangements to power the wheels. Also, 0-4-0 yard switchers are similar 20-25 ton frames. So that might be a possible source for drawings.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Matt.Starman

Post by Matt.Starman »

I’m going to power it electrically. I’m not a big fan of lawnmower engines on ride on trains.

I was hoping there would be some prototype drawings out there somewhere so I could scale down the dimensions and come up with my own drawings for the build. There’s gotta be one out there somewhere! Lol
Matt Starman

Greenleaf, Idaho
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I know somebody who made a couple of these in 1" but I think he had photos to go from, no GE prints. But some of the photos you pointed to do give a few more views of the details of how they should look when done.

What he built was using two half U batteries for form a 24 V system. Even using 1/2" plate for the frame it will spin the wheels easily. One day we started loading it down with soft dive weights to find what might help. We felt about 30-40 pounds was the balance point. More weight and it was losing power on the flat and draining battery. Yet more weight wasn't really helping it on the hills either.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

I was in the same situation about a year ago looking for drawings, there are not many out there. The drawings in the link that Peter listed to offer some overall's dimensions but I found I had to do some more digging to get all the dimension I needed to make a unit.

You didn't mention what scale you were looking to build but if you are looking to make a unit for 7¼"/7½" gauge, I will be making more kits and Ready-to-Run units in the spring. Take a look at the link below for an specs overview and pictures of the finished unit.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&t=109676.

They really make a great starter unit and are small enough to fit into the trunk or backseat of a car. Currently I am working on the instructions and wiring diagrams for the units as well as some updates to make the engine easier to assemble and operate.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Link works great. The photos show a lot of valuable detail. You could probably design your own cab using the running gear and frame layout showing in the photos, and generally scaling the physical size to fit generic 7 1/2” ga width of cars (16”). Overall length 2:1 or 3:1 the width- what ever length looks best to you. Fortunately, there are lots of smallish DC traction’s motors and controllers available from 600w to 2000w that will fit this size loco.

A friend of mine has a box cab that he runs all day at Train Mountain. Great little loco. I’ve asked him if he has a source for drawings. Will advise what ever he comes up.

Iam currently rebuilding an old center cab electric (12” gauge/3” scale) loco with a forklift traction motor for each truck, and a high amp hour, 48v battery pack. It’s been a fascinating experience figuring out the drive chain and motor install.

Maybe consider starting a build thread here on Chaski to detail your findings and progress.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ok, here is the followup from Kirk Devine, regarding his boxcab. His is a Plum Cove build. Also check out Chris Brew’s (cbrew) link - details his Boxcab build.

“My box cab was a simple kit from Plumcove and didn't match any prototype. It is a simple two axle unit. I think the motors are wheelchair motors. There is a motor powering each axle.
You might check out Chris Brew (user name "cbrew") on Chaski. See this link

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 6&start=24

Look at the third post on the link above. It has a bit of drawing and you might be able to contact that person to get more drawings. He does state that it is probably closer to 2 inch per foot rather than 1.5 inch per foot. You could probably scale it down.”

Glenn

8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Matt.Starman

Post by Matt.Starman »

Thank you to al for your replies, I sincerely appreciate it! I guess I should have mentioned I’m going to attempt this build in 5” scale 15” gauge. Looks like the dimensions are basically the same for the 23 ton boxcab regardless of gauge so I’ll at least be able to start there and take some artistic license with the rest.

Glenn I saw your thread with your 12” gauge locomotive and you inspired me with the forklift motors! I would have never thought of that. I’ve been doing a lot of research on electric motors and what I could use for this loco, but nothing I was looking at really seemed to fit the bill. I don’t expect to pull a 10 car train with this boxcab, but it would be nice to pull a couple work cars or even a couple carloads of people around. Those forklift motors seem to be the ticket for more horsepower.
Matt Starman

Greenleaf, Idaho
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Well, 4” scale makes a bit of a difference. 😲😀 Here I was worried about stuffing a tiny little motor up against some miniature size wheels!

15” ga would be perfect to fit good sized 8” or 9” DC traction motors right between the frames, on the axles. -prototype style. My motors are 16” long, which I think is a fairly standard length. You might look around and see if you can find a local EV club (Electric vehicle hobby group) near you. They would likely be a great source for free or low cost motors and controllers- and advice on batteries and build methods.

Edit: Also, you will have a choice of larger diameter wheels. 8” or 9” wheels allow larger diameter motors between the frame, and better choice of gearing. Fun stuff.

Also, 15” gauge opens all kinds of possibilities for their simple designs- center cab and road switches. Lots of cool possibilities...

Glenn

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg »

Matt,

There are a couple of people who have built boxcabs in 7-1/2" gauge and they reflect the heritage you're showing in your link. They are electric and I believe done in 2-1/2" scale. These guys are with the Joshua Tree and Southern RR club and at least one of them is associated with the 15" group. They've done these drawings in 3D but I'm not sure if they'll can share them. PM me if you would like to get in touch with them.

Mike