Info about PVLS boxcar decorated for Chinese restaurant?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Info about PVLS boxcar decorated for Chinese restaurant?

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

When I attended the model train show in Springfield, NY, around 2005-2007 I would sometimes stop by the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers' display. I was familiar with 1/8 scale trains but didn't know a lot. One boxcar I saw was painted dark blue with gold lettering and advertised for a Chinese restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't make out the name of the restaurant. I haven't seen the car at the train show in many years and wondered if anyone here knew about it, its owner, and why it came to be painted for a restaurant. Was the restaurant owner also a live steamer?

I picture I took from 2007 shows the car.
Thanks.
100_5475 (2007) PVLS.JPG
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
PRR5406

Re: Info about PVLS boxcar decorated for Chinese restaurant?

Post by PRR5406 »

I don't have an answer to the specific question, but it isn't unheard-of for businesses to sponsor a particular car. Actually, it's a great way for clubs to add rolling stock to the fleet. There's a beautiful steel gondola with Milwaukee Tools plastered on it up here in Vermont. I know of another in the Montreal area.
If members and guests frequent a local eatery or motel, it might be mutually beneficial. Of the top of my head, I would think local craft breweries, restaurants, and hostelries could benefit by sponsoring at a club!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
apm

Post by apm »

PRR5406 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:20 pm I don't have an answer to the specific question, but it isn't unheard-of for businesses to sponsor a particular car. Actually, it's a great way for clubs to add rolling stock to the fleet. There's a beautiful steel gondola with Milwaukee Tools plastered on it up here in Vermont. I know of another in the Montreal area.
If members and guests frequent a local eatery or motel, it might be mutually beneficial. Of the top of my head, I would think local craft breweries, restaurants, and hostelries could benefit by sponsoring at a club!
That's pretty common at the HO scale model railroad clubs or at least some of them. My grandparents used to live in a 60+ community back in the 1990's that had their own model railroad club. That railroad was filled with sponsored buildings, billboards and train cars. It seemed like no sign on the layout existed if some local company didn't pay for it.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Yes, I've seen that on H-O and more often, Lionel scale layouts. My point is, 1/8th scale, or hernia gauge cars are usually expensive or long term labors of love, then add trucks and couplers, and the buyer has quite an investment. Having a large scale "billboard" reefer or boxcar makes attendees aware of the local business, and in the case of the Chinese restaurant, might return the advertising investment. The cars are certainly unique, eye catching, and spread good will through the steam club. Depending on the laws, if invested as advertising, it might be tax deductible. Cooperative advertising, through a brand-name company like Yamaha, Arctic Cat, or another, is sometimes picked up by the product manufacturer. Study what applies in your region, but I'll bet this is done on many regional clubs.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks. I was hoping a member of Pioneer Valley Live Steamers would remember the car and building and chime in...
Speed_Toaster

Post by Speed_Toaster »

I’m from PVLS. That was Rita and Roger’s car, they had it painted that way for their favorite Chinese restaurant outside of Lennox, MA. Roger died about 5 years ago, and Rita died 2 years ago. They were both long time members at the club and had all sorts of rolling stock for their 2 big diesels (an RS3 and an SD70,) and their steamer (an LE Atlantic.) They also had a boxcar with their little chihuahua, Tootsie, on it. I’m pretty sure this car was given to the owners of the restaurant after Rita died (they were good friends with everyone up in that area, Roger owned several businesses.) The restaurant is Luau Hale in Lennox.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thank you very much "Speed Toaster". That is exactly the type of information I was looking for!