New 3/4" Scale Track - Part 1

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR G5s

New 3/4" Scale Track - Part 1

Post by PRR G5s »

Saturday was the first successful run at the Springfield, Evansville, and St. Louis Railroad. I say successful, because the first run didn’t go so well. The engine kept derailing in a lot of places. Apparently, the plastic ties “shrunk” after fastening the rails, so the gauge was too tight. I ended up spending the last 3 weeks regauging the whole track, which was not fun.

Track specifics are 3.5” gauge with 30’ minimum radius with spiral (easement) transitions from the tangents. Ruling grade running CCW is 1.10% and CW is 0.75%, at least when first built. The reason I say this, is I’ve had issues with frost heave or expansive soils in a few areas that I’ve had to try to correct, or let go. Total length of track is about 680’.

Photos are starting out by where the steaming bays will be, running CCW.
Attachments
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
PRR G5s

Re: New 3/4" Scale Track - Part 1

Post by PRR G5s »

Here's the remaining pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0317.jpg
Charging up the 1.10% Grade
Charging up the 1.10% Grade
IMG_0323.jpg
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Great looking track ,sure nice to see 3/4 coming back
Joe
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Man that looks really nice. Hope I get an invite soon !!!
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

Thanks for the compliment guys! It's been a long 3 years in the making.

Steve, you're welcome to come anytime!

Anyone with 3/4" scale, or 3.5" gauge is welcome if you're in the area, just check to make sure I'm around.

Eric L.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Great track, beautiful location. Is this a private track, it looks like it's in a park.
Jack
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

Thanks Jack! It's a private track in my backyard. Everyone in our "neighborhood" has at least 2 acres. It's an easy way for the farmers to partition their land without having to rezone it.

Eric L.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

PRR G5s wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm Apparently, the plastic ties “shrunk” after fastening the rails, so the gauge was too tight. I ended up spending the last 3 weeks regauging the whole track, which was not fun.
If you adjust them now, aren't you concerned that they might expand when it gets warmer and throw the gauge out again?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

this expansion / contraction is really no surprise to those of us who live in areas that get very cold..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:32 pm
PRR G5s wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm Apparently, the plastic ties “shrunk” after fastening the rails, so the gauge was too tight. I ended up spending the last 3 weeks regauging the whole track, which was not fun.
If you adjust them now, aren't you concerned that they might expand when it gets warmer and throw the gauge out again?
Ben,

Yes, they will expand when it gets warmer. I know I'll have to check the gauge again in the spring. It may be something that I will have to set the gauge for a minimum "running" temperature. In our part of the country we can have a 130 degree F temperature swing from the hottest day to the coldest day, so it would be tough to set it and be able to run at anytime of the year.

There are other factors such as shrinkage and swelling of the treated lumber due to moisture content. I've learned that treated lumber is not that stable. It likes to warp and twist if not adequately braced, and depending on the board, you may still have a problem. It seems like, and I've heard this from carpenters, the new treated lumber is really bad compared to CCA treated lumber.

Eric L.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

This is exactly why 3/4" scale will always be around, because its small enough to build in a reasonable sized backyard and its strong enough to pull several adults.

Beautiful track!

How about a picture and info on the engine?
-Frank K.
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

Frank,

Thanks Frank! Here's a picture of the engine being steamed up at the unsuccessful run:
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 11489 times
Engine Info:
Pennsylvania Railroad G.5.s
Const. started 1992 while in high school (oof, that made me feel old)
First run in 1995
Cylinders are from Little Engines
Drivers and engine truck wheels from Power Models
Propane fired

Eric L.