Riding Scale 'Diesel" locomotive

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Riding Scale 'Diesel" locomotive

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That would be Bill Gardei, also a member of Mid-South Live Steamers. I've seen some of his locomotives, re-gauged from 7 1/4" to 7 1/2". He is an electrical and electronics guy. He could definitely tell you the pros and cons.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I've been through a bunch of technical drawings for various small diesel engines. Placed in a widebody style locomotive and having the frame more or less designed around the engine, it seems like the Kubota's could fit but it would be tight.
For my 12" RR, I ended up using a gas powered GX390 with a very large custom built, rockwool stuffed muffler in the place of the "diesel fuel tank". Larger and longer exhaust pipes take a lot of the "lawnmower" sound out of the engine and deepen the tone. If you watch Youtube videos of the single cylinder chinse diesel motors they sound terrible and kick around something awful. Furthermore I'm up near the Canadian border, and when we get arctic outflow it gets cold enough to turn diesel fuel into thick syrup, I wanted my trains to run in any conditions so I stayed with gas.
I have also given a little thought to simply using a 2000 watt "suitcase" generator and a 1HP 120/240 volt motor, but it simply wasn't powerful enough for my application. A 7500 watt would probably get the job done, stripped out of the frame and re-configured to fit inside the body.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:48 am There was a guy in Delaware with a railroad (http://www.islandpondrailroad.com/) that described some experiments he had done with this. I think he had a working engine. A quick search of his website didn't show it, but it might be buried in one of his links. You could reach out to him.
Island pond used to have a ton of cool videos on youtube, but most of them are gone now. He had built a gas electric using a 6.5HP generator and had connected a hair dryer for "dynamic brakes" that really worked.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Once again, thanks for all the replies and links on a riding scale "diesel" locomotive. I have thought about possibly using a Kabota diesel as a
prime mover. The comments on that 1.6 scale FP45 have given me some ideas. Thanks also for the Island P R.R. link. I have looked at it
but can't find any references to an actual diesel powered locomotive. I do think a small diesel coupled to a hydraulic drive is the most
practical way to go. I'm considering British or European prototypes, including narrow gauge locos as a starting point.

"Lone Wolf"
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Not trying to deviate from the subject, but have an alternative to your diesel powered loco.
Instead of going diesel hydraulic look at gas electric.
Gasoline engine drives an alternator which powers truck motors through a simple control system.
I found this on SMEX site.
I have an E6 that is powered this way.

John
EMLS
wms6

Post by wms6 »

Old rice farmer friend of mine who has since passed away years ago had one. Can't remember if it was a diesel engine for sure but it worked similar to the full sized. Engine spun a generator which powered the traction motors. Pulled the body off once and I'm not sure if anything else could have fit in there it was so packed.
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That wouldn't have been Austin Barr would it?
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

Wms6, yes it was a diesel engine, if I remember correctly it was a 3 cylinder Kubota engine. Also the generator was also the starter. Another point if you went from forward to reverse too quickly you would fry the generator.
-Kevin S.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

There are a few gas-electrics out there.
Matt Mason
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

mattmason wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:04 pm There are a few gas-electrics out there.
Yes, and more and more, people are turning to pure electric. 1.6 to 2.5” scale is a perfect size to mount 2 Kw motors on the drive axles. There are now all sorts of controllers and battery combinations to accommodate increased voltage and operating range.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
wms6

Post by wms6 »

Kevin S wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:34 pm Wms6, yes it was a diesel engine, if I remember correctly it was a 3 cylinder Kubota engine. Also the generator was also the starter. Another point if you went from forward to reverse too quickly you would fry the generator.
-Kevin S.
Wish I had paid more attention back then lol Hopefully I'll come across some footage of it in all the tapes I have.
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress