Electric power primer

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Electric power primer

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Be fair now, Russ, as you know, the tracks do actually emerge from the waters, once in awhile, usually.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

True. Of course with the recent heavy rains today I witnessed the Hood River near flood stage.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, we heard about the storm. 500k without power around Seattle, apparently. Now heading north on I-5. Palm Springs to Redding today. Clear sky and sunny all day up the Central Valley, until we hit Shasta. Then almost a steady string of clouds across the horizon. Likely only will get worse as we head north. Home sweet home.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Safe passage home.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 am
Maximum total current will be 700 A. You might want to consider using a double pole main switch and one fuse per motor.

The fuse(s) must be located near the battery and rated to interrupt its short circuit current.
John, I’ve been looking on line for a double pole single throw 800amp main switch on line, to no avail. Wondering about alternatives... such as running two single pole 400amp switch’s off the battery, with a fuse on each, each leading to a controller? Or running separate leads off one single pole 400 amp switch???

Keeping track of the current from two motors is a bit confounding at times...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Glenn

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

The idea is to power each motor via one of the poles of a 400 A double pole single throw contactor.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks John, I’ll concentrate my search for a 400a switch. much appreciate your assistance!

Glenn

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn, if you are looking at high voltage components, 400amps at 220V isn't the same as 400 amps at 48 volts. It is also not an even conversion based on watts, for example some toggles that are in my misc electrics box are rated for 10amps of 120 volts or 30 amps of 12 volts DC. You may find that a lower amp rating than you think you need, double pole switch will suffice. Specs are typically on the switch case.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

This popped up when I was looking at Youtube. The guy converted an alternator into a motor for his bike. I immediately thought of applying the same system to an electric locomotive. Not something I will pursue, but thought it might be of interest to the electric train crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQy-hIMY__A