Caboose door castings in 1/8 scale?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Caboose door castings in 1/8 scale?

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I have an on-again, off-again relationship with a scratchbuilt caboose in my basement. It is based on a DL&W prototype. I am looking for end door castings to save me the time from scratch building them. Also, cupola windows would be handy for the same reason. Does any company sell these parts? I looked at the Cannonball website but nothing is suitable. With the current rage in 3D stuff, I wonder if something like doors are out there.

Thanks.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
makinsmoke

Re: Caboose door castings in 1/8 scale?

Post by makinsmoke »

Don’t fear doors. They are easy. Go to Hobby Lobby and buy precut basswood strips ince you know what you need.

Build the doors in three layers. Top and bottom layers are identical. Framed just like a real door.
The bottom middle is a bottom panel, top middle is glass, Lexan, plexiglass, whatever.

You just use pieces the same thickness as your glass material, to match the tops and bottom frames, but narrow to allow for the glass. Leave the top piece for last. Paint everything, slide the glass in, then the top piece.

It’s a whole lot easier than it sounds. Just lol at a full size door. You are just cutting basswood strips to length, painting and gluing.