Open Source GE 44 ton 1.6" Diesel locomotive

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Open Source GE 44 ton 1.6" Diesel locomotive

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Benjamin,

Here’s a few pics of a Whitcomb 44 tonner. Not a GE, but similar.

I could likely pull a few dimensions of components if you need them.

Glenn
Attachments
979316B4-3778-460A-9E3D-B8A1B6DF7D1C.jpeg
E8AF756F-EDA3-42A4-B2DE-3B195916BA08.jpeg
26C6E4BF-F496-48CF-88D3-CDB3C5BC742A.jpeg
5B4D9954-4384-4692-8F8D-BA195886B9F4.jpeg
4F906771-AFF6-45CB-978F-132ABC3036DD.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Glenn,
I have plenty of information on GE 44-tonners, but thank you for the pictures. I was looking for links to the builder, but apparently there is a Facebook page.
Ben
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
WJH

Post by WJH »

Hi guys, sorry for my absence. I had recently just started working on this project again. Was cleaning up some wheel castings.
WJH

Post by WJH »

I created a new branch called "Development" on my Github. Playing around with changing the drive system to a geared one, 10:1 reduction for use with a brushless DC motor. Going High Tech, also using ball bearings instead of needle bearings and hardened axles. Going to design and 3D print a gear casing that looks scale and will keep the dust out of the gear train. It won't be used for any kind of mechanical strength, but rather a wrapper. Haven't designed that yet.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

One thing I'd like to mention, is that we have several local shops with lasers and 2 with water jet cutters, but only one 3D printing business that is extra expensive. The GE 44 ton locomotives and others similar to it like the Southern Pacific narrow gage X-1, share fabricated plate trucks instead of castings like most diesels, and makes them very easy to model using laser cut or water jet plate parts. Just my opinion, but open source would be much more viable for the masses if designed around more common forms of production, or at least the option of.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Funny you mentioned sp-1 Little Giant X1 that's my next project working on the truck drawings right now
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 am Funny you mentioned sp-1 Little Giant X1 that's my next project working on the truck drawings right now
Our shop made a set for another member here about a year ago for 12" gauge that will utilize take up bearings with the tensioner end cut off riding on functional springs and equalizer bars. Don't know if he's got it assembled yet but they looked really good in CAD and the finished laser cut parts fit really nice.
WJH

Post by WJH »

rkcarguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm One thing I'd like to mention, is that we have several local shops with lasers and 2 with water jet cutters, but only one 3D printing business that is extra expensive. The GE 44 ton locomotives and others similar to it like the Southern Pacific narrow gage X-1, share fabricated plate trucks instead of castings like most diesels, and makes them very easy to model using laser cut or water jet plate parts. Just my opinion, but open source would be much more viable for the masses if designed around more common forms of production, or at least the option of.
This locomotive is perfect for having things laser cut or water jet cut. The 3D printed parts are to be done on a consumer level 3D printer, they are nothing more than dust covers, even optional, or you can adopt the earlier drive system that simply uses roller chain and sprockets. If you asked me, I'd even print them for you at the cost of material and shipping which would probably be less than $20 for all of them.
The real expensive part of my design, and it's only expensive if you don't have a TIG welder. The trucks are weldments, the frame is a weldment, the body is to be welded as well.
If you join the Experimental Aircraft Association which is 40$ a year? They give you access to the latest student edition of Solidworks. Just go to the Github, download the files and explore it in Solidworks. I could care less if you decided to steal my design, start a small business around it and produce these things. I'm doing it for the hobby, to get more people interested in it and metal working. The cost of entry into this hobby is high enough.
Oh, and you can even upload your own changes to my design, and I can merge them into the design, thats the nice thing about Github and open source. You could even start your own branch and take it in an entirely different direction if you wanted.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Further progress...
02292020Update.JPG
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

clinch670 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 am Erwin Shops has announced a very limited run of 1.6 scale 44 ton locomotive kits.
Here is the information from the Erwin Shops Facebook page referenced on the first page of this thread. Link to announcement: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4012923736

Text of announcement:
Discussion Time
This project has been out on the table for a while now. Now it’s time to see if it’s worth producing. If it gains enough interest to warrant a production run it will only be produced 1 time and will not be offered again.
This will be offered as a KIT. Not RTR. It will be a highly accurate model of a 1.6 scale GE 44 ton phase IV locomotive. Other phases may be made available depending. This kit will require welding. All steel parts will be CNC formed. Trucks will be be Waterjet cut steel and will have CNC steel wheels, axles and journal boxes.
My goal is to produce a highly detailed model that is also affordable and can be customized and built by the customer to his/her specifications.
This project will combine skills from other great people in the hobby so that all the issues are worked out by those who specialize in that area (because I don’t do electrical). The trucks will come with custom gear boxes and motors and will be designed for electronic operation with a wireless handheld controller if the builder so chooses.
Please share this post so that everyone can discuss their interests in this possible project.
Disclaimer: This is not a reserve list but merely a discussion to see if this project is worth developing. The cost will be determined based on the number of units produced so that’s up to you guys.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here’s another option to potentially gear your trucks. Use a tolomatic right angle drive, keyed to the axle. I’ve been discussing this with the local tolomatic supplier, based on recommendations from other forum members. They quoted this unit below at $347. It’s a bit larger than needed for 7.5” ga, so possibly the price could be lower.
8F8372CD-A3A1-465F-B8D2-D4281F469966.png
Alternatively, similar used components on eBay run from $50 and up.

this style gear box was commonly used on a total of about 4,000 or 5,000 MTC G-16, G-12, and I think G-10’s during the ‘50’s and ‘60’s.

Here is how the MTC trucks were built.
96979996-80E8-42A5-B2A8-0772D85A0657.png
They appear to have used a sliding square spline and u joints with a drive shaft from a motor, to allow the truck to swivel. However, the gear box could perhaps more easily now be connected to a truck or axle mounted DC motor, and the second wheel set driven by chain off the first axle.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Glenn,
I think you meant your post for another thread...