Refurbishing my Railroad

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SanDogDewey

Refurbishing my Railroad

Post by SanDogDewey »

New to the forum, but have been lurking around for a few months now. I purchased a used railroad and have been working to get it back in service. I have an engine, 5 flat cars and an caboose. I also have about a 1/4 mile of aluminum track on plastic ties. It is approx 10-13 years old and sat outside under a tarp for most of its life. Lots of rust, one bad motor and some wear on the trucks where the clevis pins install. I have a lot of photos in my Flickr album that show where I started and where I am. I'll be full of questions when I get closer to putting the track down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandogdew ... 0351950614

Patrick
SanDogDewey

Re: Refurbishing my Railroad

Post by SanDogDewey »

Here's my engine.

Image2016-02-09_10-23-20 by Patrick, on Flickr
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Very nice restoration. Where do you plan on laying down the track? at a commercial site or a private RR for your own use??

Also, the age old question - what kind of paint did you use, and did you use an undercoat?

Thanks
Glenn B.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Very nice restoration. Where do you plan on laying down the track? at a commercial site or a private RR for your own use??

Also, the age old question - what kind of paint did you use, and did you use an undercoat?

Thanks
Glenn B.
Thank you. This will be a commercial track out here on the coast of Oregon.

Everything is being chemically stripped or sand blasted. If I can't primer it immediately after stripping or blasting, it gets etched with phosphoric acid. I used a zinc chromate primer followed 3 coats of sandable primer, scuffing between each coat. Topcoat is Krylon Industrial spray paint. I keep the cans warm next to a heater when I'm painting and get a pretty nice finish.
Last edited by SanDogDewey on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Pat:
Nice job on the refurbishing project! Are you planning to keep the track at the same location? I've been by the place several times over the past few years and never saw a train running; everything was always buttoned up. If you're moving out of downtown, will you still be in the Seaside area?

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Oilcan wrote:Pat:
Nice job on the refurbishing project! Are you planning to keep the track at the same location? I've been by the place several times over the past few years and never saw a train running; everything was always buttoned up. If you're moving out of downtown, will you still be in the Seaside area?

Neil
I also saw the train buttoned up and never running. I contacted the owners with the idea of fixing it up and running it for them. They wanted the property for restaurant expansion and weren't interested in the train any longer. So we made a deal and now I own a train! The train and track have been removed from the downtown location and will be relocated a few blocks away. Would like to get it up and running this summer.
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

Looks to be an RMI Transfer Switcher, nice job on the refurb. If you need anything else give us a call.

http://www.rmirailworks.com/Transfer.asp

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

The frames and trucks were worn where the clevis pins install. So I drilled them out for 3/4" clevis pins. BIG drill that a friend loaned me makes short work of it!

Image20160218_132927 by Patrick, on Flickr
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Got the trucks mounted up to one of the frames. The oak was rotted out of the bottom of the wood sided gondola cars. A rubber mat in the bottom held in the moisture. I've sourced some replacement tongue and groove to replace it.

Image20160218_163319 by Patrick, on Flickr
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Started sanding the sides to one of the gondola cars to see how much work it would be to return it to a natural finish. The paint came off pretty easy. There are some grooves that might be difficult to get stripped. I'd like to stain them natural instead of painting them black again.

ImagePatrick, on Flickr
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Are these 3/4" x 11 1/2" axles only available through RMI or are they a standard part? The ends (3/4") are turned down for a 5/8" (.624) bearing.

Image2016-02-23_12-46-39 by Patrick, on Flickr
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

Got a coat of stain on the wooden gondola sides.

Image20160225_172659 by Patrick, on Flickr