GG1 in large scale?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

pwcphoto

GG1 in large scale?

Post by pwcphoto »

Does anyone know of a company that has produced a GG1 locomotive in 7.5"/7.25" gauge for the live steam hobby? Have always loved this locomotive and was just curious as I have never seen one modeled before.

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Fender

Re: GG1 in large scale?

Post by Fender »

Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

If I recall correctly, there was a series of articles in Live Steam several years ago about building the GG1 for 7-1/2 gauge. There was a lot of detail that you could use to make one.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I had to google "quill drive". Was there any wear problems between the cups and driver? Seems like a strange set up, or atleast one im not used to seeing...
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I believe it was actually a 1" scale model, and built by someone in a North East club. The articles were from the mid 1990s I think.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Ben, are you referring to the GG-1 that was written up by Bill Bridges in the 1998 LS Mags?

If yes, you are correct, that was a 1" scale GG-1. That loco is now part of the GG-1 Historic Locomotive Preservation Society and currently resides in the Chicago area. While the (1) drive motor did run...the electronic controls built in the 90's (before the advent of modern DC motor controllers) could not be brought back to life. As time (and money) permit, those electronic controls will most likely be stripped out and replaced with a small Curtis or 4QD controller. The body needs a little TLC as well. For now, the model is more of a static display than anything else. Find attached a photo of the loco when it was picked up in CT a couple years ago. Carl B.
Attachments
xIMG_3352.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Carl, is that your original photo of the GG1? Man, that's a beautiful representation of the locos, just as I remember them!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

PRR...yes, that's my photo. Just had to shrink the photo to get in the Chaski size format. The builder did a fantastic job on the body. As previously noted, the compound curves are not easily re-created.

The GG-1 HLPS has a 1.5" scale GG-1. The cab builder used PVC flat sheets and piping to make the corners. After the originator passed on, I helped another hobbyist complete the running chassis, various details and graphics. I can tell you...a whole lot of Bondo was added to the body to get the "cheeks" to look better. The top of the nose is still not rounded enough. At best...you can see it's a good "representation", you know what it is from a distance, but not nearly as accurate in appearance as the 1" model pictured above. Like most things...if you want accuracy...you'll need time...and lots of it.

Here's a photo of the 1.5" scale GG-1 at White Creek just a couple weeks ago. Carl B.
Attachments
xIMG_6179.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I've been working on a 1" scale GG1 for a couple of years. I bought it as a project and and went off in a different direction than the original builder, the original project body was cast iron, very heavy and difficult to detail; I'm fabricating my body in 20 Ga sheet steel. I have the advantage of using the cast iron body as a form and anvil, otherwise the compound curves would be next to impossible to form.
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

Seems like it is pretty rare for being such a popular, long lived and famous locomotive. Wonder if there would be a market for one if it was done right. I think it would be about 10 feet long in 1.5" scale. A large beast.
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I think yes! Esp if done to the level of attention Jim K has done with his Berk design. Can you imagine fully equalised loco beds (from detailed ductile iron castings) sweeping thru corners. :D

Mountaineer.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think that there would be a limited market for a GG1 in 1 1/2" scale.

Reason: They are a very specific locomotive that was built and used by only 1 railroad: The Pennsylvania. You don't see C&NW, D&H or any other road that had GG1s, although I think that at lest one or two of them were painted for Conrail. Most of the locomotive designs that are successful models from a marketing standpoint seem to be ones where a lot of different roads had some type of variation of that locomotive or wheel arrangement, or it used a lot of the same parts as other locomotives. Even the Berkshires you speak of, there were several roads that had them: Nickel Plate, Erie, Pierre Marquette, Boston and Albany, C&0, and L&N to name just a few.

There are a lot of parts that would be completely specific to a GG1 locomotive, including the bodies, which would make the cost of production very high.

Don't want to rain on your parade... just giving my opinion on the matter.