GG1 in large scale?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

chooch

Re: GG1 in large scale?

Post by chooch »

aopagary--Gary.
Nothing personal meant in my previous post re: 7 plus gauge.
I saw the mention of building both 7+ gauges but, my point was that the non steam locos would be better to be built to be fairly simple and/or easily able to change from one 7" gauge to the other. Perhaps having a short bit of threads and nut each side of the wheel(s) to make any gauge adjustment. And advertise such rather than build to One certain gauge. This might be already done (MCC ??)
As for world wide gauges, I only mean to consider the U S of A. The difference of the Northeast and the rest of the country although, some tracks in both areas have gone to 7-1/2 " gauge with 7-1/4 " equipment used with success. (Texas and Massachusettes)
----------I don`t quite follow you on the gauges versus Proto type. I was told long ago the correct gauge was 7-1/8", that a typo made it 7-1/4".
Whatever it should be, it appears that what we use-1/4 or 1/2" is now the norm and quite sufficient. ----------

it was already mentioned that the proposed 1.6"/ft model would be available in both 7.25 and 7.5 so i'm not sure what you point is. many 1.5" scale models are gauged to 7.5". the more important factor to me is that when this concession is made, the model wheel gauge is wider than prototype. the problem i see with any 1.6"/ft model is that in either case (1.6"/ft scale on 7.25" or 7.5" gauge) the wheel gauge is narrower than the prototype. a more stable and less massive configuration would sound good to me.
---------Sorry Gary, but you got me on this. I believe 1/5" scale was increased to 1/6" mainly for the use of V-Twin gas motors now very popular. So I see it "Might", just Might be a problem of fitting such "V" motors in a larger 1/8th scale GG1 shell/body due to the side contours of the body. A little hard to really picture though--1/8 would be a some larger than 1/6 scale.
------------
i understand the reason for 1.6"/ft scale in diesels where a popular motor used would have a problem fitting in a 1:8 scale shell, but i did not think this would be the case with the GG1.

No offence, I just don`t quite understand your though.
Thank you Gary.
chooch
----------------------
No conflicting posts to clutter the page please, PM is OK. Keep me out of trouble. :-)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

chooch wrote:I was told long ago the correct gauge was 7-1/8", that a typo made it 7-1/4".
Assuming one is discussing 1/8 scale (1½" scale), true scale track spacing would be 7-1/16". (8 x 7-1/16" = 56½")
I'm not sure anyone really knows how gauge became 7½", or for that matter, 7¼".

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Do a little math. The 1.6" scale is a round off of 1.59XXX per foot. It is the true 1/8th scale for 7.5" gauge. It is slightly over size for 7.25" gauge. It is closer than the still slightly over scale for 7.25" gage.
This whole mess is supposed to be caused by a error in a magazine or news paper article that appeared in the late 1930s.Lore has it that it was a miss quote of something Martin Lewis said. Yes, 7.25" gauge is universal out side of No. America. Western Canada uses the 7.5" gauge. Eastern Canada uses 7.25" gauge. OH WELL as Eyore used to say.
Cary
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

Cary Stewart wrote:Do a little math. The 1.6" scale is a round off of 1.59XXX per foot. It is the true 1/8th scale for 7.5" gauge. ...
1.6"/ft scale is actually 1:7.5, not 1:8.

it was probably unfair for me to say an electric or for that matter a diesel in 1.6"/ft scale would be 20% (actually 21.4%, but i rounded off) more massive than a 1.5"/ft model. not that it wouldn't occupy the larger volume, but unlike steam, what's under the shell of diesel or electric models is quite different than the prototype.

the people who probably get hurt the most by the two different scales are the car and detail parts manufacturers. i see many nice looking 1.6"/ft scale cars out there, but with a fair size 1.5"/ft scale train already, i'd never consider buying something that would look so out of scale to the rest of the consist.

cheers...gary
Fender

Post by Fender »

For anyone who is concerned about the gauge/scale disparity, the solution is simple. Build a Russian or Finnish loco, which are 5 foot gauge. Five feet = 60 inches. One-eighth of 60 inches is 7.5 inches.
Or, build a "Russian" decapod (used on many U.S. railroads) but don't re-gauge it to 7.063"!
QED.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
chooch

Post by chooch »

A foot in 1.5 scale is easy enough to figure but, 1.6? I have to scratch my head and the hair loss is already quite gone.
(big grin)
chooch
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

true scale is usually only recognizable in comparison. i use 1:43 autos on a 1:48 (for the most part) O gauge layout, but since all the vehicles are the same scale, the rather large discrepancy is hardly noticeable.

coincidentally O gauge/ O scale has exactly the same scale/gauge error as 1.5"/ft scale on 7.5" gauge track. 1.25" x 6 = 7.5"; 1:48 x 6 = 1:8. has anyone ever considered that the first west coast live steamer may have merely consulted Lionel for the 'proper' track gauge?

cheers...gary
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I assume we are done discussing GG1 engines?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
chooch

Post by chooch »

Bring it back. What do you have to offer?
chooch
Benjamin Maggi wrote:I assume we are done discussing GG1 engines?
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

My #2 son recently passed along a photo of a GG1 running at Train Mountain. Anybody with information of it?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

"Anybody with information of it?" Belongs to John Cooper of Klamath Falls, he is our head signal maintainer at Train Mountain. He has had some growing pains with it as most of us do, but seems to be running fine now.

In regards to 1.5 vs 1.6 vs 1.7 the main single reason for doing any of these various differences, has little to do with SCALE but more to do with space under the hood. The only way a v-twin motor will fit under the hood is if the hood is 1.7, not 1.5. I can fit a thumper into a 1.5 though. Russ
rwheller

Post by rwheller »

As to finding space inside the GG1 for all the things you need, it is a null problem. Unless you will be "running alongside" the locomotive, you would have some sort of car behind it. A baggage car will give you all kinds of space. A simple electrical connection between the car and locomotive would allow all kinds of space in the car for, say, batteries. A 4QD control system would give you dynamic braking, which negates the need for a working brake system on the locomotive. The train brake system components can be in the following car (or cars) as well. Don't forget the obligatory sound system and speakers. Just picture you running a 5 stripe Tuscan GG1 with a cut of PRR cars behind it. Heavenly!