GG1 in large scale?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Re: GG1 in large scale?

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I am puzzled by the use of solenoid, because they do not deliver a constant force. Initially the force is very low, but as they pull in, more coils get engaged and the force rises. If the required loads exceed the available force at any point, it will just stop moving. Perhaps just replacing the solenoid with an air cylinder, where the force is the same regardless of travel, could save the original system?
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I wasn't aware of the way solenoids functioned, that may be part of the problem; but I still believe that my overall design is at fault. Over the past year I tried tweeking the rigging to no avail, I didn't use an equalized system (did't know about it until a few weeks ago) and the the lost motion appears to almost equal the required throw of the actuator. I think the pneumatic system will eliminate those issues. Believe me, I'd love to salvage what I have, it was a lot of tedious work, but I don't think it's salvageable. This project has been a 2 steps forward and 1 step back since day one, it's my first project, I have no real plans to speak of....and for the most part I don't know what I'm doing. My best source of information was a RR yard close to my home where two GG-1s were being restored for static display, the foreman used to let me photograph and measure the real thing; that was my source. He has since passed away, and the new guy isn't as friendly. Thank you for your interest and education on solenoids. John
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Carl B. I completed the air brakes on the 'A' chassis unit and will be adding the air supply piping and hose in the near future, thanks for the tip, John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

John...nice work. Looks like you used single, reverse acting air cylinders to do the job. You were right...not much room between pairs of drivers to do an opposed piston type set up. Did you make those cylinders? ...or were those commercially available. Also looks like you made some kind of adapter with the tubing barb for your air supply. Hope it works as well as it looks. Keep us posted of your progress. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Yes Carl, I made the air cylinders. I used aluminum solid rounds and tube to make the cylinder, cylinder ends and gland, and JB Weld to attach the brass collar to the cylinder. I added the collar to get sufficient threads (10-64) to attach the air connection. I included a picture of the cylinder components less the piston and rod which I haven't completed yet. The piston is nylon with o-ring, and the rod 1/8" round steel. The cylinder has an internal spring to relieve the brakes when the air is exhausted. I also added a gland and o-ring to the rod end of the cylinder to seal the rod when pressurized.

Carl, beings you're one of the few people that built a GG-1, I included a few pictures of the various assemblies (brake hangers and beam, suspension, air fittings) that are incorporated into the chassis. I originally was going to use wyes fittings to connect the cylinders to a double air header via hose, but I got too messy so I'm going to go with a single air header and tees. To keep the hose on the fitting barbs, I'm going to use shrink fit electrical insulation over each connection (who knows if it will work). I appreciate your interest and in put. John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I finally completed the A and B chassis units and mounted the body, now I'm trying to figure out how to make up the power wiring. I have a motor control system from Precision Railroad Products, the full load draw is 150 amps, but it's the sum of 12 motors. The problem is how do I connect all of these small motors with their 14 ga. motor leads stretched out over 6 ft. The controller is fitted with two large lugs and I don't know how to connect the heavy wire recommended and the small motor leads. I was thinking about mounting bus bars and tapping the bar at each motor, any thoughts on that approach? John
rwheller

Post by rwheller »

Is there any progress reports from RMI about their effort to produce a GG1? Nothing is appearing in this forum or on their web page.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

A few photos before taking it apart to complete the power wiring, painting the chassis and and begining the body work.

Does anyone have plans, or know where to get them, for the pantograph? I have a PRR drawing but there's not enough information on it for me to duplicate the pantograph, any help will be appreciated.

Keith(LVRR2095), are the proportions correct? John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

John

please contact me off list for the panto drawing

Mark_Landgraf
at
yahoo.com
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Being that the GG1 is a Pennsylvania railroad only locomotive, it would not be a popular model except for Pennsylvania railroad modelers. I have noticed in the small scales,(HO) that it is modeled by almost every manufacturer. I have one in HO scale that is a beautiful static model (made in China). Now 2 years later (how time flies) my model sits unfinished amongst other unfinished Pennsylvania models as other tasks are taking priority, one of them being taking care of my ailing wife and dealing with the covid situation.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Mr Ron wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:17 pm Being that the GG1 is a Pennsylvania railroad only locomotive, it would not be a popular model except for Pennsylvania railroad modelers.
Well, anyone interested in the Pennsylvania Railroad, Conrail, the "American Railroads", New Jersey Transit, and Amtrak.

See here for possible paint schemes: http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/paint.html

And while a lot more expensive than a Lionel GG1, Lionel sure did sell a lot of their engines to people who were not specifically "Pennsylvania railroad modelers"...
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Pennsy specific or not, the GG1 is simply the most iconic electric locomotive ever produced. Not only a huge engine, it had style and speed, and everything that was wonderful regarding high-speed passenger service in the NE corridor. A run of 1.6" GG1's, say six to eight of them, would undoubtedly be sold and become points of interest at club capable of handling the radius demand.
Considering the huge variety of PRR paint schemes alone, hobbyists would want to see them all in service.
Moving them from location to location would be another thing altogether!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."