Great video. You'll be glad you watched!

We all have a collection of favorite websites. Use this forum to post and share them!

Moderator: JackF

RCW

Great video. You'll be glad you watched!

Post by RCW »

--Bob
ken572

Re: Great video. You'll be glad you watched!

Post by ken572 »

RCW,

Thank's for sharing this Geat Video :!: 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
JackF

Post by JackF »

RCW,

Ditto Ken. I always enjoy seeing how things were done back then, and how some are still doing it the way things used to be done. Thanks again.

Jack.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

That was a great video, thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Bill C.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

A very enjoyable video! Hard to understand how they can do anything with no DRO or QCTP in sight! I didn't spot any carbide inserts but I imagine they might use them sometimes. I did notice a few of those old useless flat belts and lantern toolposts, though.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dly31 wrote:A very enjoyable video! Hard to understand how they can do anything with no DRO or QCTP in sight!
I'd certainly agree with you in regards to the quick change---but the DRO? Not so much!

I am extremely proud of the level of skill I achieved, doing things the *hard way*. I ran my modest commercial shop for 16 years without the benefit of a DRO, serving, primarily, the aero-space & defense industries, with very stringent requirements. I was competitive, and captured more than my share of work.

It can be done, just as it was done all through WW II. That's what sorts those who think they can from those who can.

I've said it countless times. A DRO is a luxury, not a requirement.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

Enjoyed the video.

Never had a DRO aboard ship on my lathes or mills. Kept track of the "travel" using my dial indicator.
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
mudnducs

Post by mudnducs »

AWESOME video! Gotta get back to that ethic!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

What a great video. I know they won't get rich, but what a great work ethic that is all but gone today. There is no reason that we should abandon tradition for the latest and greatest technology. Unfortunately those old-timers are getting harder and harder to find. I would like to think that, like classical music, the machining trades can still exist as they did back then.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I/we ARE the old timers. We honor those that went before us. They do much in the machining world now with computers. Instead of machists they have tool changers, operators and loaders. CNC is where production is at. Manual machines are where custom and repair work resides. CNC is great, but I cant afford it.

A lost freind that was Harry Herder, sold me some of his cast iron truck kits. He showed me his mothod of cutting the cast iron wheels, where each wheel took under 6 minutes to cut and finish. I am not nearly that organized or that good to be that fast. He showed me his method, and said it was NOT short cuts. When you know the dials, trust them. By laying out a standard proceedure, with all the facts covered, only toolwear and dumb mistakes will intervine. I am the dumb mistake on the handwheels. :?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Having started in a shop that had all of that old machinery, I have no desire to return to it. Nice to see it, but difficult to go back to. It is so much nicer to do good work on good machines and I would love to have CNC in the home shop.

Richard W.
Texanjohn

Post by Texanjohn »

Loved the video, thank you for sharing it. To me the most important message is family, respecting and learning from your elders is something that America Needs to return to.