1.6" scale Barber-Bettendorf Trucks

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Jackt202

Re: 1.6" scale Barber-Bettendorf Trucks

Post by Jackt202 »

Hi Moose,Jack Trumbull here.That caboose truck you have was first made by Maumee Car and Foundry Maumee,Ohio.The owner of that co. passed away a few years back and His patterns where sold.I do not know who is produceing them now.My caboose trucks are made to the drawing the B-B used .I am now going to start to produce a truck without the swing links and springs.The trucks will look the same from the outside.leaveing out the swing links and using fake leaf springs this will reduce the cost of the product.
Jack
Attachments
Friction bearing truck
Friction bearing truck
Roller bearing truck parts
Roller bearing truck parts
Jackt202

Post by Jackt202 »

Roller bearing truck partly assembled
Attachments
100_0937.jpg
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

What will the cost be? Will they mate to a car differently than a mcc or Tom bee truck? Will there still be an option for swing links and leaf springs?
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Jack,
That is a mighty fine looking truck.

I appreciate you are selling it with either friction or roller bearings.

I understand trying to lower the price to sell some to folks that may balk at the swung versions, but I am not sure how you would spring the truck. Or would you?

In any case, it is a very nice product. Thanks for making them available.

Contact info would be handy.
Thanks,
Brian
moose the caboose

Post by moose the caboose »

Jackt202 wrote:Hi Moose,Jack Trumbull here.That caboose truck you have was first made by Maumee Car and Foundry Maumee,Ohio.The owner of that co. passed away a few years back and His patterns where sold.I do not know who is produceing them now.My caboose trucks are made to the drawing the B-B used .I am now going to start to produce a truck without the swing links and springs.The trucks will look the same from the outside.leaveing out the swing links and using fake leaf springs this will reduce the cost of the product.
Jack
hello jack,

thank you for replying and posting pics of your work. not trying to 'dis' anybody elses' work, but your truck comes closest to the truck that i got from mark unfried (i think that mark is the missing link in the history as you've given it). mark hasn't been answering emails or phone calls and i can only pray that should something in life be keeping him from the hobby, that a happy restoration of circumstances be given him. his work, as yours appears to be, is worth noting.

please do describe the particulars of your trucks and suspension. you have 'our' attention! in the unfried truck, main suspension was accomplished by coil springs between the spring plank and the bolster. as in all things, you can only tinker with it once the weight of the car has been set. i'm not a fan of 'one type of truck springing fits all'. also to my liking, the unfried trucks also have working journal box covers that flip up to access the oil port for the truck bearings.

for my specs, i'm looking for:

1. spring plank to bolster springing if swing links aren't possible. (mark's trucks have a work-like eliptical leaf springs, but aren't functional)
2. cast iron or cast steel sideframes (top grade aluminum only if ci or cs aren't available)
3. cast steel wheels (ci if cs not available)
4. bronze axle bushings with an oil galley aligned with the journal box oil port. (pardon me, i'm old school, i don't mind the oil drips, but have grown to dislike sealed ball bearings.)
5. journal box lids for friction bearings.

please do send a private message and i'll email addition contact information. your work looks to me to be just what the doctor ordered. i think that many of us are looking forward to the completion of your production schedule to the point that you can begin delivering.

to those who've replied to my quest, thank you for your interest, your expertise, your data, your comments and questions. i have been on a quest for this particular type of truck for months now. publicly and privately, the hobby suppliers like thom bee, mcc and a couple others have been suggested. all fine equipment to be sure...just not what i was looking for. believe me, had they'd offered such a truck (barber-bettendorf), i'd have sent the money and asked for the trucks and a feather...we'd both be tickled!

to SZuiderveen: wow! thank you for the data and the research! it is appreciated.

moose
Jackt202

Post by Jackt202 »

Wow Moose,I guess I do have someones attention.I received more than a few privite messages from this too.
Let Me see if I can answer all the questions here.First the caboose trucks will be offered in economy and deluxe.The economy will have the fake leaf springs and leave out the swing link system.Blued clock spring is expensive and hard to work with.The swing link system it self contain many small parts that require fair amount of machine time to fabrcate.This is where the savings come into play.I am trying to match the cost of a standard frieght truck.
The deluxe trucks are built as close to the prototype drawings as I could make them.The drawings I used to develop My trucks from are very similar to the ones supplied above by SZuiderveen.
The spinging on a caboose truck is very differant from a frieght truck.On a frieght truck the springs directly connect the truck bolster and the sideframe.So if the springs are too stiff the truck will not be able to read the track and the truck will derail.Too soft will loose riding hieght when fully loaded and may cause derailing because the spings collapsed to far.This where fine tuning the spring sets comes from.On a caboose truck the leaf springs are sandwitched in between a bolster and a spring plank and suspended by the swing links in the transom and then connects to the sideframe.The connection between the transom and sideframe is where the truck flex comes from.The springs used in this way do not affect how the truck reads the rail.
The caboose trucks use the same needle bearings as Tom Bee's. The castings are made here in My shop from Aluminum. The wheels are made from nodular iron. They mount the same way as MCC trucks. The journal lids are hinged and allow for greasing of the needle bearings.My trucks are not designed to used on cars for hauling people.They are built to 1.5" scale,Not 1.6 scale.
I hope I answered all questions and thanks for all the complements.
Jack
jackt202@sbcglobal.net
moose the caboose

Jackt202 wrote:Wow Moose,I guess I do have someones attention.I received more than a few privite messages from this too.
Let Me see if I can answer all the questions here.First the caboose trucks will be offered in economy and deluxe.The economy will have the fake leaf springs and leave out the swing link system.Blued clock spring is expensive and hard to work with.The swing link system it self contain many small parts that require fair amount of machine time to fabrcate.This is where the savings come into play.I am trying to match the cost of a standard frieght truck.
The deluxe trucks are built as close to the prototype drawings as I could make them.The drawings I used to develop My trucks from are very similar to the ones supplied above by SZuiderveen.
The spinging on a caboose truck is very differant from a frieght truck.On a frieght truck the springs directly connect the truck bolster and the sideframe.So if the springs are too stiff the truck will not be able to read the track and the truck will derail.Too soft will loose riding hieght when fully loaded and may cause derailing because the spings collapsed to far.This where fine tuning the spring sets comes from.On a caboose truck the leaf springs are sandwitched in between a bolster and a spring plank and suspended by the swing links in the transom and then connects to the sideframe.The connection between the transom and sideframe is where the truck flex comes from.The springs used in this way do not affect how the truck reads the rail.
The caboose trucks use the same needle bearings as Tom Bee's. The castings are made here in My shop from Aluminum. The wheels are made from nodular iron. They mount the same way as MCC trucks. The journal lids are hinged and allow for greasing of the needle bearings.My trucks are not designed to used on cars for hauling people.They are built to 1.5" scale,Not 1.6 scale.
I hope I answered all questions and thanks for all the complements.
Jack
jackt202@sbcglobal.net

much appreciated jack! email sent.

moose
Jackt202

Post by Jackt202 »

Hi Moose and the others that have sent me e-mails and privite messages.I have not been able to respond to everyone yet.I have been sick the past week and half.Also our oldest Daughter is to be married on Friday,So I have been working on getting better.I really do not want to be the center of attention Friday coughing My brains out.
The good news is I five sets of castings done and after the Wedding,My new Son-in-law will start working in the shop part time with me.That should help to get caught up with the new orders that have been received.
Jack
moose the caboose

Jackt202 wrote:Hi Moose and the others that have sent me e-mails and privite messages.I have not been able to respond to everyone yet.I have been sick the past week and half.Also our oldest Daughter is to be married on Friday,So I have been working on getting better.I really do not want to be the center of attention Friday coughing My brains out.
The good news is I five sets of castings done and after the Wedding,My new Son-in-law will start working in the shop part time with me.That should help to get caught up with the new orders that have been received.
Jack
jack: thanks for the reply. i stand by the adage that the workman is worthy of his hire...and time. too often, we forget that this hobby of ours is just that, a hobby. to my way of thinking, your health and family come first...in due time, there'll be time to enjoy both your workmanship and friendship. take care of yourself and your family...we'll be here when you're ready.

btw, give my best to the happy couple, may they discover many blessings to come!

moose
mwierowski

Post by mwierowski »

Does anyone know if Jack is still producing these caboose trucks?
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

One of our local live steam guys is looking for a set of the swing motion caboose trucks, kit form is fine. Did anything come of finding if anyone still has or is making any of these currently ?

thanks in advance for any info