Superscale relief valve mufflers

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Dave Bortz

Superscale relief valve mufflers

Post by Dave Bortz »

Hi Folks;
Bringing back the Superscale consolidated relief valve muffler (part 14-02). They are quite the "little puzzle" to manufacture, but would be a great addition to any steam locomotive model as they are typically on top of the locomotive, and a very visible detail item.

They were used on the full size locomotives to "muffle" the sound made by the relief valve opening, especially at stations as that would scare the bejezzus out of passengers... The muffled valve was typically the lowest relief pressure valve on the loco, so it would open first. I have seen these on various locomotives and recall seeing pictures of them on PRR k-4s and Nickle Plate Berkshires.

Cost for a new complete valve (either 1/8th or 1/4" NPT) with a muffler is $350. Cost to retrofit your existing Superscale safety valve is $125.
Plus Shipping & handling fees that apply...

Please shoot me an email at DSBortz@comcast.net or send a pm through chaski if interested. Thanks to all for your support of Superscale.
Dave Bortz
IMG_2515a.jpg
jeffsmith

Re: Superscale relief valve mufflers

Post by jeffsmith »

Hi Dave,
Do you have any globe or angle valves with the attached unions, 1/4" and 5/16"in stock?
Thanks

Jeff Smith
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

Hi Jeff;
Working on runs of each valve size and type... let me see what I have and will send an email...
Thanks
Dave
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Dave, kindly let me know if you make the 2.5” scale brake coupling/gladhands that Barry previously sold.

Mountaineer
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

PM sent to Mr. Mountaineer on the glad hands, brake hoses... parts are in process after selling out... More to come by the end of September or earlier... Thanks for the inquiry.
Dave
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Great to see you keeping superscale alive!

Have you thought about making a basic shopify webpage with a catalog or online order? Would be pretty quick to setup, but I'd think it'd easily be worth the time spent for the additional orders you'd receive.