ISO 0-4-0 1.5" 7.25"

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

itsnotaboy20

ISO 0-4-0 1.5" 7.25"

Post by itsnotaboy20 »

Good Afternoon,

Wondering if anyone could fill me in on some of the popular 0-4-0 1.5" offerings out there. I saw Trainman firing a Mercer, and he alluded in the comments of that video he was re-introducing a kit. It seems Kozo's are popular as well as a Little Engines 0-4-0.

In my late 20's and living in New York City, and I am looking to find the most compact 1.5" scale locomotive I can. I have an SUV which I'd use for transportation. (Living in the City trailers are not really an option.) It's my goal to make some trips up and down the coast to various clubs.

Grateful for any intel. Know of someone in your club who has an 0-4-0 that's been sitting for a while? I'd love to give them a ring. :D

Cheers all
Joe Tanski

Re: ISO 0-4-0 1.5" 7.25"

Post by Joe Tanski »

One for sale at Mud Creek Central Rr 0-4-0 railroad supply design,copper boiler,slant back tender B&O design ,owner passed reason for sale
Lockport ny
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

An 0-6-0 isn't much bigger than an 0-4-0 and will track and perform better.

Also, the Mercer designed 0-4-0s perform very well, are compact and relatively simply/ inexpensive.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

First: I wouldn't limit myself to an 0-4-0 unless you know already that's all you can carry. I would put the seats down in my SUV, or fix it however you intend to carry your stuff in it, and then measure it, both length and width. See how much room you really have. In an older suburban, we could get 3 tracks wide in between the wheel wells for 1 1/2" scale, and with all the seats down, we had about 8 feet of length. So we could carry an 0-4-0 and tender, and two full-size cars just sitting on the floor. That's on the extremely big end, but the point is you might be able to get more locomotive in there than you think. I would figure out exactly what length and how many rows side by side you can fit in there, and NOW go out and determine what will fit in there. You might be able to fit an 0-6-0, or a small mogul, or something like that. Don't forget that you will probably also want a riding car of some type if you have a significant other that will be going with you. You might be able to stack stuff on top of each other and get even more in there. Get creative, but remember that it all will need to be tied down extremely well, or in a panic stop it may crush you.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i have seen a fellow put a 0-4-0 and tender and whatnot inside of a Subaru Forester....it is a squeeze...a 0-6-0 will not fit. he rides the tender and accumulates a train as needed. coal buckets and accessories take up a lot of space...and automobiles are getting smaller and smaller....

Nuskey's 0-4-0s run and track just fine...no earthly reason to shy away from one because it is only 0-4-0
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
itsnotaboy20

Post by itsnotaboy20 »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Nuskey's 0-4-0s run and track just fine...no earthly reason to shy away from one because it is only 0-4-0
Joe Tanski wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am One for sale at Mud Creek Central Rr 0-4-0 railroad supply design,copper boiler,slant back tender B&O design ,owner passed reason for sale
Lockport NY
What is a Nuskey? Also, thank you Joe for the intel. I have reached out to Mud Creek RR in an effort to get connected with the seller. I appreciate the comments re: 0-4-0 vs. 0-6-0 power. The thing is, I won't have much room in my car, so without guests in the vehicle, I won't be taking too many people around the track. I also couldn't fit a locomotive in my car plus a bunch of riding cars. I am fine packing light, and pulling light loads.

I'm keen on 1.5" scale for the greater track offerings at clubs. I'm looking to get out of the City for the weekend and explore other clubs. If all else fails, I'll settle with a nice 1" scale something.

Thanks
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Nuskey (and 3 others whom you would not know if you do not know Nuskey) is the fellow who originally designed the 0-4-0 to which you are referring. While Dave @ Mercer marketed and sold a bunch if them...his is not the basis from which they evolved.

1" is a good way to go as long as there is a track in your area.
ICC2411

Post by ICC2411 »

Give Ed Archer of Iron Horse Supply a e-mail, e-mail IHSC775@gmail.com . He has a nice 0 4 0 castings, Dave developed them a few years ago and Ed brought up the patterns and sell the castings.
Joe
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you looking for a purchase and run loco or something to build?

Sounds like a purchase and run but do not like to guess.

Have you a way to move a 300# loco in and out of an automobile?

Even a small 1.5" loco is too much to pick up and put in a car without lifting equipment.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Before deciding on a scale I would suggest that you visit local clubs. From New York City you should visit the New Jersey Live Steamers, the Long Island Live Steamers and if you want to travel a bit....the Pennsylvania Live Steamers and the two clubs in Massachusetts.
Get an idea of what is involved in moving a locomotive. You may decide that a smaller scale locomotive makes more sense.

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Agreed...all of those clubs have 7.25 & 4.75 & 3.5" gauge tracks available

PLS has ground level tracks for the smaller gauges.

Waushakum track is a particularly challenging elevated track.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Yes I agree with Bill and Keith's sentiments as well, take a drive out and come visit the local clubs to get a feel for what's going on. If you want to visit Pioneer Valley or Waushakum feel free to reach out and I can put you in touch with someone who can tell you the best meets/weekends to visit.

From what I see most of us younger guys in the hobby (who are actively building/fixing and running) are starting out with 3.5" gauge - far easier to store and transport (especially for someone who lives in the city!) and the high line is a whole lot of fun!
Last edited by FKreider on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Frank K.