ISO 0-4-0 1.5" 7.25"

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Berkman

Re: ISO 0-4-0 1.5" 7.25"

Post by Berkman »

Allen models also now offers an 0-4-0.

the big difference between them is that the Little Engines and Railroad supply 0-4-0s are piston valve with walscheart valve gear while the Allen and Mercer designs are slide valves with Stephenson.

I think the Little engines is the largest out of the group.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

FKreider wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:10 am Yes I agree with Bill and Keith's sentiments as well, take a drive out and come visit the local clubs to get a feel for what's going on. If you want to visit Pioneer Valley or Waushakum feel free to reach out and I can put you in touch with someone who can tell you the best meets/weekends to visit.

From what I see most of us younger guys in the hobby (who are actively building/fixing and running) are starting out with 3.5" gauge - far easier to store and transport (especially for someone who lives in the city!) and the high line is a whole lot of fun!
SMALLER loco means possibility of not remortaging house to own, operatre and transport (or build as the case may be)

i have been known to offer the engineer's seat to anyone interested and responsible who would like to see what it is all about.

Current stable includes 0-4-0 3/4", 4-6-4 in 3/4", 2-6-0 1", a 2-8-0 1/5" loco and a recently acquired 4-6-0 in 2.5" gauge.

each is a totally different set of operating experienceS -> with the exception that they are all on rails and run on steam.

the big loco you can just sit back, pull the throttle and watch the block signals. The water and propane fire can be set to be virtually ignored lap after lap....it can be really boring. (literally)

The 3/4" 0-4-0 requires constant attention to throttle, water level, axle pump, boiler pressure (via the fire door) and stoking on the fly. it i a VERY BUSY LOCO to operate (and much more fun lap after lap since you are VERY BUSY)...more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It is an example of a steamer where the engineer can really appreciate the need for a FIREMAN alongside...

everyone's experience and desire from live steaming can be different.

In reality, it is like the old story of several blind men describing an elephant based on what part they are touching.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
itsnotaboy20

Post by itsnotaboy20 »

FKreider wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:10 am Yes I agree with Bill and Keith's sentiments as well, take a drive out and come visit the local clubs to get a feel for what's going on. If you want to visit Pioneer Valley or Waushakum feel free to reach out and I can put you in touch with someone who can tell you the best meets/weekends to visit.

From what I see most of us younger guys in the hobby (who are actively building/fixing and running) are starting out with 3.5" gauge - far easier to store and transport (especially for someone who lives in the city!) and the high line is a whole lot of fun!
I have an associate membership application pending with NJLS. I liked both the 1" and 1.5" track. Again, most clubs tend to have more 1.5" track footage, hence my effort to see if I can get the smallest 1.5" scale locomotive possible.

Regarding moving such a thing, I will get one of those harbor freight hydraulic scissor lifts. https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 61405.html I'll roll the locomotive out of the trunk onto the lift, and then to the track. I'll do the same with the tender. I don't think I could fit more than a 0-4-0 on one of these.

I'd be more than happy ending up with a 1" scale. I'm just assessing what is out there per what I have laid out above.
itsnotaboy20

Post by itsnotaboy20 »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm Are you looking for a purchase and run loco or something to build?

Sounds like a purchase and run but do not like to guess.

Even a small 1.5" loco is too much to pick up and put in a car without lifting equipment.
Looking to buy and run. I do like these new offerings out there for "bolt-together" locomotives. When you grew up when I did, you know more about a 3-D printer than a lathe. I am looking forward to learning more about machining, but I do not have the real estate to assemble something. Truthfully, I want to get out and steam for a while and then perhaps turn to restoring what I bought or something like that. Taking it small, step by step. I want something that runs though and has been taken care of.
19copythree

Post by 19copythree »

Hi, have you visited Long Island Live Steamers? I'm a member there. Live in Queens. Transport my Mercer 0-4-0 in the back of a Jeep Liberty. Contact me if you want to see the LILS club. Jim M. PS: I'm a member at Pioneer, as well.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

getting loco in / out of the car at the club tracks is not a concern...they are ALL setup to do that.

concern is at home.....unless you have big balloon tires on the lift....

all of these lifts need solid / flat / not bumpy surfaces to roll...like CONCRETE with few or no seams.

Getting over a door threshold is another concern

there are definite advantages to a loco that you can lift and carry...particularly as you get older....

https://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverf ... otive.html

generally...i would recommend that you reach out, touch and see RUNNING any loco that you are considering purchasing. purchasing over the internet / e-bay can be...interesting.

Clubs are the best place to do this.

beware of bolt-togethers...they can be challenging....if not outright impossible to get the bolts in and running (long story)....

the only exception is (was) OS Japan...their kits were really top quality and literally 'bolt together'.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

if you are on Facebook there is a group for builders of the "Nuskey" 0-4-0 Camelback now offered by Ed Archer. Join the group and look around. The castings are reasonable. I'm building one and I have a bunch of posts on that group. Feel free to ask me any questions. If you are looking to buy that FB group might be a good place to ask.
itsnotaboy20

Post by itsnotaboy20 »

Sandiapaul wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 pm if you are on Facebook there is a group for builders of the "Nuskey" 0-4-0 Camelback now offered by Ed Archer. Join the group and look around. The castings are reasonable. I'm building one and I have a bunch of posts on that group. Feel free to ask me any questions. If you are looking to buy that FB group might be a good place to ask.
Joined!
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 am
The 3/4" 0-4-0 requires constant attention to throttle, water level, axle pump, boiler pressure (via the fire door) and stoking on the fly. it i a VERY BUSY LOCO to operate (and much more fun lap after lap since you are VERY BUSY)...more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It is an example of a steamer where the engineer can really appreciate the need for a FIREMAN alongside...
"More fun than a barrel of monkeys."

Yup! - I wish more people realized this about 3/4" scale!!
-Frank K.
19copythree

Post by 19copythree »

I use the same Harbor Freight lift for my 1-1/2 Mercer 0-4-0 (fitted with angle iron for rails). But, I must add that I agree with the sentiment about how much fun and how practical high-line engines are. I have two of them. relatively affordable and tranportable. LILS has a really nice high line track.
IMG_0184 (2).JPG
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Is the Faceplant Camelback group open to everyone? Is there a particular search name for the group?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a set of wheels and BRONZE cylinder set and a few other odds and ends for that loco that I acquired from Tony Daddi a decade + ago and will never use.

i will have them, along with a complete set of plans @ Penna live Steamers on Memorial Day weekend if you care to drop by and look. Proceeds of the sale go to the club as a donation

If you want all from one location then Ed A is the place to go.