Theoretic offering

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

PRR5406

Theoretic offering

Post by PRR5406 »

My organization has recently come into possession of full-size erection drawings of an ALCO RS11, an ALCO HH-660, ALCO AAR Type B trucks, and a large cache of similar line drawings, paint schemes and blueprints. These are very clean, discernible images. My question involves whether it is worth having them professionally scanned and made available to live steam/Dieselers. The drawings involve B&M as well as MEC equipment.
Is there any interest or call for prints or PDF's of this type of material. Sometimes you look for a specific set of measures and they just don't seem available.
THis is not yet an offer. I just curious about interest.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Marty_Knox

Re: Theoretic offering

Post by Marty_Knox »

If you don't mind a post that has little to do with your post, I can tell a funny story about the Maine Central RS-11.
When I worked for the Morristown & Erie in the early 80's we were looking for more power, preferably ALCOs.
I called the CMO of the Maine Central and asked about the RS-11. He firmly stated 'It's not for sale!'
He then asked 'How much would you give us for it?'
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

I am mostly a live steamer and I have very little interest in diesel-electric engines...however I am fond of early diesel switch engines, especially the HH660.
-Frank K.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Eventually, people will become interested in the various drawings particularly once they know what is available.

Might post a small list of drawings with prices and see what interest is generated. Too many drawings vanish into black holes, private collections, never to see daylight again.

I would be interested in the B trucks ones.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Thank you, for your responses. As specific funding to scan the blueprints and drawings becomes available, we will have them copied. I personally believe in making all drawings readily available to everyone, precisely so we don't spend years looking and never finding.
I'll look into the ALCO Type B trucks as soon as I am able to locate the originals.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

PRR5406 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:40 pm My organization has recently come into possession of full-size erection drawings of an ALCO RS11, an ALCO HH-660, ALCO AAR Type B trucks, and a large cache of similar line drawings, paint schemes and blueprints. These are very clean, discernible images. My question involves whether it is worth having them professionally scanned and made available to live steam/Dieselers. The drawings involve B&M as well as MEC equipment.
Is there any interest or call for prints or PDF's of this type of material. Sometimes you look for a specific set of measures and they just don't seem available.
THis is not yet an offer. I just curious about interest.
Anything Alco is on my radar. I build in a lot of scale, and I would love to offer the HH-660 as a model.

Keep us posted!

Chis
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
LastLogger

Post by LastLogger »

I'd be interested in a set of HH-660 drawings for a potential future restoration project.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

We have scanned original Maine Central, Portland Terminal, and B&M painting drawings for ALCO "S" class switchers, RS3 and RS11 road Diesels, EMD SW-8 switchers and GP38 locomotives. The American HH-660 blueprints are being scanned today. Most of these include locomotive dimensions as well as color and decal locations.
There is a 1900 blueprint of a wooden Maine Central sled plow. A painting on cardboard of a proposed paint scheme for B&M's Fairbanks-Morse Talgo locomotive is being scanned as well.

They will most likely be offered for a reasonable donation to support the restoration of Maine Central 470. What's reasonable? Something like $25 for a set, not $25 each - which they may well be worth! If you care to donate more, of course it will be accepted. Restoration ain't inexpensive.

If there is a positive response to these offerings, we may add other items, including MEC 0-6-0 steam switchers, passenger car layouts, truck designs, etc. All of this costs money to have done professionally. In the meantime, we are inventorying what we've received and plan to archive all the paper documents. Please do not ask us to send you the original blueprints or drawings.

I will make an announcement of intentions to release the scans when they are placed online.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Very interested!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Mike, did you get my PM?

Drawings will be available for download very soon.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The HH660 drawings are ready for download in return for a donation to New England Steam Corp. Please send your check for $25 to:

New England Steam Corp.
P.O. Box 302
Winterport, Maine 04496

Be certain to include your email address, as these will be sent electronically.

Donations for these scans will go toward maintaining a digital archive of thousands of other drawings.
Also available are painting diagrams for MEC, B&M, and Guilford Diesel locomotives, This archive includes about 12 drawings, all inclusive.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Is it possible to pay via paypal?