Model Steam Pressure Gauges

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Model Steam Pressure Gauges

Post by NP317 »

I received my 200 psi gauge yesterday.
It is gorgeous and exceeds my expectations.

Adam:
Does the front bezel screw on or is it pressed in place?
I just wish to know in case it requires future calibration.

I will post pics when I install it on my Mikado. Very soon.
Thanks for your successful efforts!
RussN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Two pics of the 200 psi gauge installed on my Mikado.
Feel free to use the pics as desired.
RussN
Ashton gauge -2.jpg
Ashton gauge.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

That's a really elegant cab arrangement. Enlighten me please, why do we loop the tubing going directly to the gauge?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

PRR:
Thanks.
That loop is the required water trap to protect the Bourdon tube in the pressure gauge.
Live steam can damage the delicate tube inside the gauge.
A simple 180 degree bend might work fine, but I've always tried to have a complete circle in place for protection.
These gauges are not cheap, and I am...
RussN
apm

Post by apm »

We just made up a few 3" diameter 300psig gauges. These would look perfect in the cab of a larger locomotive;
Large Scale 300psig1.JPG
I am not sure what the demand will be like for these or if we will be running any more after this so if you are interested best order them now as there is limited stock.
https://www.modelgauge.com/product/larg ... sure-gauge
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I passed on your 3" gauge to some people who might be interested. A 200 PSI gauge in that size would probably also do well.

I would buy two 1 1/2" gauges at 100 PSI for my air system. I'd like to replace the industrial gauges I have on there now, pictured.
Attachments
IMG_20200525_095935.png
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

It appears the 3" gauges have sold out quickly. :) I have another friend who will buy one if they come back in stock.
apm

Post by apm »

Harlock can you make do with 160psig gauges? I still have a few of those without the word locomotive on them which I had always intended for use on air. What pressure are you running your air system on?

I would have thought that 160 would be better for air pressure anyhow if you are running a 1:1 steam compressor as your air pressure should be able to go over 100psig? I would agree that these gauges would be a huge improvement over those two industrial versions you have there.

As far as making more of the large scale versions what is the preferred pressure range on more of them? I can do both 200 and 300psig depending on what the interest is.

These gauges really look awesome on the larger scale locomotives. Hopefully those who get theirs will post pictures.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

The air system only goes to about 65 PSI on the pressure switch.

I do plan to add a steam air compressor eventually which could change that equation, but for now 160 is too high. Especially on the application gauge, because most applications other than "stop right now" are at 8 - 18 PSI when braking down hills or coming to a slow stop. And I actually look at the application gauge when setting for downhill coast sometimes, because I know what pressure will work nicely for a particular track and load.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

For all these air systems, Id love to see a miniature duplex gauge. But Im sure that would be quite the critter to squeeze together and get working.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Soot n' Cinders wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 pm For all these air systems, Id love to see a miniature duplex gauge. But Im sure that would be quite the critter to squeeze together and get working.
Yea even the full size Westinghouse test gauges are still a bit big for my 3" scale loco. There are some small duplex gauges made for automotive use but they are totally the wrong thing in terms of form factor and finish, and would be harder to adapt like these.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I have a photo of a 160 psi duplex air gauge built by Rich Dean. I think he stacked two commercial (2"?) U.S. Gauge gauges and modified one so that the shaft was hollow. Since it was sent privately I don't want to post it.