Wanted: mich-cal shay plans in 2.5" scale

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

wnctraindad

Wanted: mich-cal shay plans in 2.5" scale

Post by wnctraindad »

Looking for 2.5" scale Mich-Cal Shay plans.
FLSTEAM

Re: Wanted: mich-cal shay plans in 2.5" scale

Post by FLSTEAM »

I have plans for a little larger 2.5" Shay.........

John B
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I may have a set, I will look when I get home and send you a pm
catalpa

Post by catalpa »

I am sure Ken Hemmelgarn is the copyright owner of the William Harris design for the 2 1/2" scale Mich-Cal #2. He lives around Dayton, OH and sells the Harris plans. I know he made a number of corrections which were inadvertently carried forward from the smaller 1-1/2" version. I have dealt with both Ken and John Buckwalter, down in Florida, and have found them both to be stand-up guys. John's plans are of a slightly different 2-cylinder Shay. According to Steve Zuiderveen, who frequents these pages, Ken may be contacted at Ken.Hemmelgarn [at] sbcglobal.net Insert @ symbol as necessary. I'm working on a 2-cylinder T-boiler Kelley Island Lime and Transport Shay, using some castings from the original supplier in Missouri, as well as some from John in Florida. As long as I'm mentioning honorable suppliers, I should note I have a Marty Knox boiler for my locomotive.
Best of luck...
1framebuilder

Post by 1framebuilder »

Hi, I am having no luck finding a complete set of plans for the Mich-Cal #2. Any help? CAD plans would be great but I am open to anything that is complete. Thank you
LastLogger

Post by LastLogger »

SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

ken.hemmelgarn@sbcglobal.net. As stated above, he has the copyright. And if you want a headstart at it, I believe he has one or two fully built up motors.

Steve
1framebuilder

Post by 1framebuilder »

Thanks for the replies. I tried the Plan Ahead and no answer to my email and also called and it said the number was no longer in service. I contact Ken via the email listed and he is the man. I am getting a set from him. Thank again, Bill
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Bill

Good move. I have one of these being overhauled, and another one in kit form. Ken’s improvements to the Harris design are wonderful.
F46E4B86-06DB-4045-8C16-C1E064BB2581.jpeg
I was briefly a minority owner of a locomotive kit manufacturer. We are not fond of folks who steal our design, “improve” it by simply redrawing in CAD, and sell the design without any investment in tooling or customer service.

Steve
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

I have been restoring a Mich-Cal Shay that I bought a few years ago. Have been pondering the idea of building a 3rd truck. Apparently Lima did sell at least one small 2 cylinder Shay with 3 trucks. The extra water storage and riding space might be nice.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

George,
5C73CFA5-5228-4F0F-9DAC-CD626A3D5828.jpeg
Regards,

Steve
Tim B Guenther

Post by Tim B Guenther »

For what it's worth, I built a 2.5" scale (approximate) shay by multiplying Bill Harris's dimensions by 1.5. It works OK, but the steam engine itself is a bit flimsy. The cylinders are only 1.5" x 1.5".