Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Patio's projects

Post by liveaboard »

All that time to make a tool to fix an old flashlight, that's just crazy.
It's good to know I'm not alone.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Liveaboard, yeh, your not crazy either. ;)

Here are a couple of screws I made for the stops on the tracer. I started with a 8mm class 10.9 grade bolt. It was not a fully threaded bolt. I cut the head off, spun it around in the collet, picked up the existing threads and cut the threads just longer than what was needed. Put the bolt in a collet block and made the flats with the same distance from the treads. Back the the lathe, and shortened both ends to proper length.
20200830_130155a.jpg
20200830_143001a.jpg
Top one is new, bottom it original. The little divet, is from a wrong move, while picking up the threads.
This is the device it mounts in.
20200818_210156a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

A while back, I bought a Hemingway, Mini Rotary Broach kit. It is capable of broaching an 8mm hex. The kit arrived, with the box split opened and material missing. I can say, the customer service at Hemingway is outstanding! They sent out the missing material, right away. I started to make the parts today. We will see how it goes.
Here are the first two finished parts.
20200913_162329c.jpg
20200913_163404c.jpg
20200913_175306c.jpg
20200913_184058c.jpg
Lots of projects in motion right now! But it keeps me off the streets. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Impressive!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Patio

Post by Patio »

Neanderman, thanks!

Tonight progress. All the counter bores are done and the end is threaded 20mm X .5.
20200916_205722c.jpg
The side facing out is not finished yet. It will get faced off once the inside parts are installed.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

20x.5; that's a really fine thread.
Nice looking work, as usual.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Did some painting this weekend, so I painted the Steady Rest, that I rebuilt to fit the Cazeneuve lathe. I used a little JB Weld to mold the bottom plate to the upper steady.
You can see that here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcWJYFvSkQ
This is not a show job, more of a scuff and paint. It looks a lot better than before, and I am happy with it. Here is a picture.
20201011_212302a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Pat,

I am not sure they use JB Weld on the F15E Eagles but I like the video.
Seems the rain has driven us both back into the shop. Fall arrives in Washington.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

LOL oops! Thanks for the heads up on the bad link. It is kind of a neat video though.
I tried to link this one, so people could see where I had installed a new base onto the Steady rest.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=89632&start=456
About midway down the page, is the proper place to look.
P
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is a "Hey Buddy!" job I finished.
I have a cousin in Arkansas that bought himself an old wood Jointer. The part that sets the angle for the fence had been repaired by a PO. The part did not survive the trip home. He has been a machinist for many years and is retired now. He does not have any desire to own metal working machines any more, but seems to be getting into wood working. A while back he offered me some tooling for free, and a bought a couple of tools he had for sale, also. He recently contacted me about making this for him, and we worked out a trade for one of the other tools he had for sale. I nice 8" Mititoyo digital caliper. :)
He really only need a very simple version of the part to make it work and I think that is all he was expecting. For me it was as much as a chance to learn by doing, on the rotary table. It took a bit to figure out the real dimensions of the part. A couple of conversations with Harold helped. It took me three times to get the part right. I messed up right off the bat when I was using the table saw to remove some extra material. The blade cut too far into the part. I went ahead and made the part anyway, using it to make sure my dimensions and set ups where going to work as planned. The second one, I messed up while orientating the part on the pallet. The third one was not perfect, but I figured it would work for him.
Here are some pictures from the process of making the part.
The drawing.
20200924_162656a.jpg
Making of the pallet. So I could flip the part and machine the bottom side, without loosing locations.
20200924_190624a.jpg
20200924_192453.jpg
Pallet is made with it's locating pin at the center of the rotary table. This is actually the third and final part that is in this picture.
20200926_172300.jpg
This is the second part, sitting on the pallet, while doing some layout with a point in the mill spindle. I had trimmed off too much of the material for the part to fit anymore.
20200927_135004a.jpg
Here I am using the failed first part to locate the material of the third part onto the pallet, making sure it is on properly this time.
20200927_142724a.jpg
Go to next post to see the results! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Continued from above!

This is the final part, in it's rough in state. The mistakes that I made are more obvious here, than in the finished product.
20200927_171654a.jpg
Here it is, all done, with the original for comparisons.
20201003_144745a.jpg
20201003_185620a.jpg
My cousin says it worked perfectly. Here are a couple of pictures he sent me of it installed on the jointer.
Breitenbach Dave planer.jpg
Breitenbach Dave planer1.jpg
Still making a little progress on the rotary broach and bike projects, too.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Very nice!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels