Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

curtis cutter

Re: Patio's projects

Post by curtis cutter »

I agree with Ed. Looks nice!

Gregg
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
JackF

Post by JackF »

That jointer looks like an old 6"Delta I have. Love that old stuff. :D :D

Jack
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Always nice to see your work.

I'm working on obtaining a milling machine, that I might get to do things like that one day.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Very nice! Congrats on a job well (over) done! 8)

And I feel for you on multiple attempts. I've always been (I'll call it "fiscally conservative") and can't stand to waist anything at all. Add on that material has gotten ridiculously expensive, and I go way too far out of my way to save mistakes I should just accept and start over.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Neaderman and Curtis.
Jack I have an old jointer that I did some repairs on, just enough to make it run, it still needs some serious love to be right. I too like old machines.
Liveaboard, Thanks! I have been watching the thread of your search, I'm rooting for ya, to find something that works for you. I was very lucky to fine the one I have, for the price I paid.
Baddog, Thanks! Fortunately I have a good supply of that sized material, so the mistake did not hurt to much. I one the mistakes to test today project, so it does not go to waste.

This is the competed rotary broach that I made from a Hemingway Mini Rotary Broach kit I purchased. I do believe this is the first assembly that I have made, "to print". Most things I make, I design, so I can change dimensions at any time. This kit is very well put together, with a detailed set of instructions on how to build the kit. The prints are very nice and complete.
I started this project a couple of pages back and it can be seen here. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=89632&start=480
The instructions call for the spindle to be made between centers or in a three jaw and the use of a steady rest. I used soft jaws and make the job much simpler.
The middle of the spindle is the largest diameter, so I was able to just flip it around, to do the other end. This it the back end with one of two radial bearings.
20201031_160159a.jpg
This is the completed project with a hole broached in mild steel. The messed up entrance to the hole is from me, experimenting with the ability to get the broach back in the hole, once the hole is made. It does not work well at all. Just make the hole, and leave it alone. All of the holes with entrances like this, are from me experimenting.
20201101_164419a.jpg
Brass
20201101_164113a.jpg
Aluminum
20201101_164134a.jpg
Exploded view.
20201101_165702a.jpg
The broaches are made from 8mm drill rod. I formed them on the bench top cutter grinder. The broach in the picture is 1/4" hexagon, so it fits a 5/16" Cap head screw. The broaches were the hardest part for me to make, as I have not spent a lot of time on the grinder. I made several. :) It is not a fast process, but it works well enough to get the job done. It might be interesting to try it on some grade 8 bolts. I use grade 8 bolts for raw material, when I want some thing a little bit tougher. :)
That is it for that project, we'll have to see what is next. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

As always, excellent work. :D :D

Jack
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack!

This weekends project. We have lived in our 1905 house for better than 20 years now. The bathroom door and the office door are both original to the home. The have the glass knob and skeleton key type hardware.
20201114_202116a.jpg
Only the one on the bathroom door has it's spring bolt. Both of them have their dead bolts. Today I made the bolt! :)
Here are the pictures for your viewing pleasure.
20201114_131447a.jpg
20201114_151651a.jpg
20201114_161630a.jpg
20201114_201219a.jpg
20201114_170112a.jpg
That's it for now.
I hope this finds everyone healthy.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Bravo!

Still basically sheltering in place here, wearing a mask when I'm around people.

Stay safe, y'all! It's going to be a nasty winter.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Patio:
Nice repair!

I lived in a 1924 vintage home for 30 years, which had all its original glass door knobs and skeleton-key locks.
Over the years I repaired all the locks and made keys for each one.
It was fun to leave the home well restored.
RussN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Was that done with one of your clever copying gizmos, or 'by hand'?

During my milling machine hunt, I found one with a hydraulic copying control system.
Neglected old thing, unwanted now, the seller didn't seem to know what it even was.
A template or sample could be traced by a stylus on a hydraulic control valve, and the table would move to follow it.
It made me think of the setup you have for you lathe.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Ed Outside of work I don't go anywhere much. It does get me some shop time though! :) I have had as many as 23 people in our small house for Thanksgiving dinner in years past. This year we were 4.
Russ, keys would be nice too. Harold has told me about his making of skeleton keys also. I have never even given thought to it, till this project came about, and it is not high on the to-do list, but someday, maybe. :)
Liveaboard, the Hydraulic trace will get installed on the lathe someday. That is another tread that you can see here;
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=109737
The door's spring bolt, was done entirely on the mill.

A friend bought a motorcycle project and needed the use of a compression gauge. I lent him mine, (He is a good friend!) but it would not fit his plug holes. So I had him bring it back, along with a plug, and I made an adapter.
20201120_181102.jpg
20201120_181130.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I need a large fly cutter for on of my projects, so I made one. It is made from a bar of 3" unknownium, that I picked up at an auction, for cheap.
This is the body and the boring bar that I am going to use. The setup is for measuring the amount of offset I need to put the cutting edge on center line.
20201127_114159.jpg
Drilled and bored the hole, for the boring bar.
20201128_114419.jpg
Then, I used the boring bar to align the head, so I could make the relief cut before drilling and taping the holes, for the locking screws.
20201128_124511.jpg
I threaded a stainless cap head screw to match the two shorter one I had. I started out with one that had a long margin. The screw is not proper. If you look close enough, it can be seen where the part pushed back against the tool at the start of the thread. Easier to see in the picture, than real life, and it works well enough.
20201128_141418.jpg
This is the finished project, with one of the long screws I used to make a shorter one. Also the top piece of material is mild steel and the bottom is 6061 aluminum. It is part of the Duplomatic post.
20201128_201901.jpg
More to come, as I get it done. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!