Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Patio's projects

Post by BadDog »

The collet closer (a very nice Royal unit) for my old Rockwell 11 had the threads just completely worn out of it. It had spent it's production life with a turret and running as a chucker, so no appreciable bed/saddle wear. A very good thing, but I digress.

I bought a piece of common DOM tube of appropriate size and made a duplicate of the one I had. Since it fit through the headstock, working with it was trivial, and it was the first time I ever did ID thread! All came out very well, and the guy who bought my Rockwell is still using it.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Collet closer is done. I am working on a tool post base at the moment. I will post more about it all, when I get a moment. But for now, here is a teaser.
Dovetail cutter, I made for the project.
20200405_154439.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone, I hope this finds everyone safe and with someone you love. :)

Thanks Jack. Yep it is nice to have a shop to goto.
Liveabaord, They just have to hold steady, and your good to go.
Thanks Gregg!
Harold, in large part to your input. :)
Russ, my path was not near as easy as yours, making this drawbar.

The last couple of weeks has been what it may be like in retirement. I have been enjoying myself in the shop. I have gotten to a point now, with the lathe, that I am moving on to other Round Tuits.
Here are some pictures, of the progress, that will cover a few post, for the amount of pictures.
The draw bar;
I decided not to use any part of the orignal draw bar. I got 4' of 1.125ODX.9??ID, DOM tubing. The first thing I did was cut it off to length, a few inches short. :shock: Soooo, I made it a two two piece assembly. Then I made that, a touch shorter than I would have liked, but it works as intended. :?
The collet end.
20200327_142233.jpg
The upper one, is the original.
20200329_132636.jpg
The peices.
20200410_181517.jpg
Together.
20200410_181436.jpg
Installed.
20200410_180533.jpg
Continued in next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Pat, your humble acknowledgement that you are not infallible brings great warmth to my heart!

Here's to mistakes and not being ashamed to admit to them!

Stay safe, y'all. This is global -- we all have an equal stake in it.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Patio

Post by Patio »

To have the collet closer installed, and still be able to open the cabinet door, I needed to punched out the inside sheet of the cabinet door.
This is a tool I use at work, as an electrician, that I like really well. I have a hydraulic set up also, but this is fast and clean.
20200330_142315.jpg
That is it for the collet closer.

Coolant mister setup.
The mill came with a mist coolant set up on it. I have always just used it with air, to keeps the chips clear and a little bit of cooling. It was mounted to a plate that was just below the spindle handle. When not in use, (most of the time) it could get in the way. I decided that I would like it to hang off a rod, from the little hole on the right side of the mill spindle. Being my mill is an import, the threaded hole is 6X1mm, I made a thumb screw for it.
20200331_154209.jpg
Then an aluminum plate was made to for the thumb screw on the unit, and a bar to hang it on.
20200331_155958.jpg
Now I am able to, move it around, take it off easily, and use it for a tool post block, project, that has a good amount of metal removal in it.

Dove tail cutter;
This was made to cut the dovetail in the tool post block, allowing it to attach to the carriage of the lathe. More about that in a minute.
I recently made a good deal, on an Online Auction, for a 81 peice gage block set and a .062-.250 pin set, that both came in handy for this project.
Randy Richards a machinist on You Tube, makes these and sells them. He also has a video of, how he goes about making them. I once owned a real dovetail cutter, for about 5 minutes. I still have it, sans any flutes! This one was going to be much cheaper to learn on. :)
I used a sine plate to set the angles and used a gage pin the same size as the center hole of the insert, to locate it on the part, where the threaded hole for the holding screw was to be.
Turned basic shape, using the compound to cut the tapered section. It is not a critical dimension, one just needs the radius, where the insert will sit to be larger the one side of the insert.
20200405_115005.jpg
Parted it off, put it in a collet block, put the collet block, with the part in it back into the 3 jaw chuck and faced the part.
Then to the mill, using the sine bar to get the angle right, so the bottom edge of the insert will be at a right angle to the axis of the cutter.
20200405_135700.jpg
The finished project.
20200405_154439.jpg
Continued in next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Tool Post Block;
In another online auction, I acquired a Dorian Quadra tool post, that was missing the handle. I bought a handle and it has since, sat under the table. It sits just a touch high when installed on my compound, to be able to use tooling that uses the entire slot, in the tool holders I have.
The compound connects to the carriage by a dovetail set up, and can be slid close or away, from the operator, as necessary for the tooling in the post. I decided to make a solid block for the tool post to sit on. This will have the advantage of a more rigid set up and creates a pallet, to which fixtures can be mounted, allowing for line boring, with the boring bar between centers. This disadvantage is I won't have a compound for threading. It is a fairly easy job to change the compound out, just two bolts.

This is what I started with. Bought it out of a local machine shop.
20200402_132955.jpg
Machined it on all sides, unknowingly, making it just a little smaller than I had intended. :shock:
20200402_211330.jpg
Removed about .300" off the bottom, using mist coolant and a 2", 3 flute, insert tool.
20200404_180323.jpg
Cut the dovetail in one side.
20200405_163444.jpg
Flip it over and drill all the holes, and making counter bores for the locking bolts. The hole for the tool post was located by setting the tool post where I wanted it on the block and then shaving some soap stone with a sharp edge, letting it rain down into the center hole, leaving a mark, once the tool post was removed. Being it is not a critical location, and point held in mill and some eye balling it, got things where they needed to be.
20200406_183616.jpg
I gib was made for the other side to clamp the block to the carriage. I tilted the head on my mill, using the sine bar and gage block to indicate the proper angle.
20200406_112523.jpg
Continued in next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Continued from previous post.
This is the angle milled on the gib. It was drilled and tapped for 3/8"X28 bolts. There are also a couple of pins, in the block, used to align the bolt holes of the gib under the holes in the block, for easy assembly.
20200406_114145.jpg
I made the square head, 3/8"X28 bolts from grade 5, 1/2" bolts that I had. It was large enough for the .400" per side of the square head. I turned the head of the bolt first, then flipped it around and held it in a collet, for the parting off to length, turning to size and the threading.
20200406_152821.jpg
The parts.
20200410_175444.jpg
This is with it moved towards the operator on the carriage.
20200410_175140.jpg
This is with it moved away from the operator on the carriage.
20200410_175220.jpg
The completed set up with the tool post installed.
20200410_175833.jpg
Continued in next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Now that I had all that set up, I still needed tool holders that would fit, four at a time. They are expensive to buy, so I just cut down some of the ones I had. I used the band saw to cut off the majority of the corner material and then use the face mill to finish to size.
20200410_174956.jpg
Being they were import tool holders, they are not hardened. I found out the hard way that the Aloris ones are. I am now in need of a new band saw blade.

The control wiring;
Awhile back, I posted about the control mechanism that I had made for the lathe.
20200413_155915.jpg
To complete that project I needed to pull the lathe away from the wall so I could get to the electrical cabinet and reconfigure the wiring, to make the controls and lights operate in the manner I wanted.
Here is the electrical cabinet, completed.
20200413_155540.jpg
This the cabinet right below the electrical cabinet, that contains the hydraulic pump that feeds the headstock spindle and gear train. I use to feed the hydraulic "Variator Drive" mechanism. (Think hydraulic Reeves drive).
20200413_155553.jpg
This is the end of this series of post. I hope it is not to much at one time, for everyone to digest.
The lathe is finally working the way I had hoped for a long time. Some day now, I am in a position to make a little, how it works, video of the lathe operations.
On to other projects now. I have been doing some sorting of my electronic piles and getting rid of stuff. Next project to tackle will probably be my never ending problematic Panhead motor. The weather is getting nice now.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Another quick project.
This flashlight was given to me many years ago. It is my favorite flashlight. It quit working the other day, so I decided to see If it was fixable. It was. The switch works just like an ink pen, but the plastic part that held all the other parts, was broken. I was able to super glue the parts back together. The tricky part was getting to the switch. Sooooooo, I made a tool, to get it apart. Here is a picture of the tool and the flashlight. pins in the spanner tool I made, are about .047".
20200417_121127.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

So many cool projects during this covid-19 shutdown!
I love being able to fix things like that.
Need a tool? Make one.
RussN
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone! I hope the world is treating you good today!
I have been using Evaporust on some of my projects, and I like it pretty well. So I thought I would do some leg work for you guys, and show you a before, after and after pictures of my latest little project.
I have a 12" adjustable spanner wrench that stays with my truck camper, for changing out the LP tanks. It was well rusted, but functional when I got it. I took some pictures of it and the bar, as it was. Then I set it, and the bar, that is a lever on a tracer attachment, in a bath of Evaporust, over night. Then it was rinsed in warm water, and I took the second set of pictures. Then I hit them both, with some green 3M pads, to clean it up a bit and took some more pictures, so you guys could judge for yourselves, the results. I am very happy and have not affiliation with the product, just a happy consumer. The stuff is not cheap at 25 bucks a gallon, but it works.
Here is the before pictures!
20200830_160329a.jpg
20200830_160350a.jpg
20200830_160403a.jpg
After 24 hours and a warm wash down with water and no scrubbing.
20200831_181311a.jpg
20200831_181324a.jpg
20200831_181329a.jpg
Goto the next post for the final results!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Continued from above!
This is after a rub down with some green scotch brite pad.
20200831_182031a.jpg
20200831_182102a.jpg
20200831_182222a.jpg
I hope you find this useful.
I think it might be time to set up a Black oxide treatment bath. I have a set of lathe dogs that I showed earlier, that could use the treatment too. I just need to acquire a proper pot to do it in.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!