Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

I have a new upper set of teeth that are held in with Four, 5* tapered pins. It fits real tight and is difficult to remove. So I made a slide hammer, out of stainless steel and brass, to remove the plate, with ease.
20210424_180106.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Denture slide hammer V 2.0.
I made the overall length a little shorter and the middle slide stop, now screws on to the bottom half, capturing the slide when disassemble for travel. The first one just had a washer.
20210425_181354.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello Everyone. School is going good. Gotta burn to learn! :) The teacher had told me about students making stainless steel tube with coins brazed onto the end to hold their Tungsten electrodes. So I made something like that! :)
20210604_193419.jpg
The Cazeneuve lathe has the ability to thread to a stop, but that can ruin a guys fought for skills. So the cap on this one was threaded to the shoulder, manually. I did clock the threading tool, at an angle, and created a small relief to help clear the shoulder of the tube. The bottom of the tube has a Stainless steel slug, press fit into the bottom and then faced off. The cap was made on a indexing head using and endmill.

I bought Everlast MTS 275 Welder, right after starting the TIG welding class at the college.
https://www.everlastgenerators.com/prod ... ig-package
So a guy needs a cart for the welder and stuff! I built one. It is not finished. My shop has very little room to get around. On each end people can pass by each other. So I built the cart with the bottle of Argon, laying horizontally. This allow the whole mess to fit under my bench.
20210603_132602.jpg
This is the first anything I have made, at home, with my welder. I just need to paint it and attach it somewhere on the cart.
20210603_150227.jpg
20210603_150237.jpg
I did remake the weight on the slide hammer, for removing my upper denture. The weight, now has a recess in the bottom, making it able to stand up, on it's end. I also ended up with a much better knurl. the last one was not very well done.
20210604_191617.jpg
More to come, as I get it done! Hope this finds everyone healthy.
Attachments
20210604_193029.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You use that slide hammer for your teeth, like the ones in your mouth?

I've never heard of anything like that.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Mark, I had implants installed in my upper jaw. Tapered pins are screwed into the sockets of the implants. The prosthetic has tapered sleeves installed in it. There are only four of them, as any more than that would make pulling the denture difficult. It works just like a Morse Tapered tooling. The doc had told me about a patient that had made a slide hammer for pulling his. The doc also showed me a slide hammer that is used for the removal of Crowns. I modeled my after that. He did supply me with a tool that has a little hook for pulling the denture, but that is a pain in the neck, literally, from all the effort required to remove it. The slide hammer works really well for when I do need to pull them. The only time I take them out, is after eating, to rinse things off, and for my daily brushing routine. I had a regular denture for about a year, going through the process. I can tell you there is no comparison. These things are great! I can eat what ever I want, apples, nuts, and even corn on the cob. They are a lot of money and quite a long process, but I am glad at the moment.

Patio
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I also have an implant, but the screw is sealed over so it never comes out.

Well, almost.

When I first lost the tooth (you should have seen the other guy!) the implant man had trouble getting the post to take to the bone, so I had a temporary abutment there.

Then while I was away in India there was this angry Israeli guy with his 2 friends...
Anyway, the angry Israeli and his friends calmed down afterwards, and helped me find the abutment post he'd knocked out.

I took it to a local dentist who did implant work, but he only had metric tools and the screw in my mouth was imperial, US made (even though I got the work done in Europe). He said he needed a tiny imperial allen key.

No problem I said: I have them. Not with me, I had to go home and come back.

So he sterilized my allen key and screwed it back in.

Now I've had the crown on it for around 12 years. So I'm a little surprised that you take yours out and put it back as a normal thing.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Mark, my prosthetic is not a single tooth, but is an entire upper plate. Being that it is held on by tapered pins, it is not necessary for the plate to cover the entire top of my mouth.
20210606_195717.jpg
I was told, anymore than four tapered pins and sockets, it would be to difficult to remove for cleaning.
P
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

It is hot here today. Last check the outside thermometer said 106, in the sun. Unusual for us to get this hot. The shop has concrete floors, so it stays cooler than outside. So I spent some time in the shop today, making a travel size slide hammer for my denture.
Here is the picture.
20210627_183422.jpg
I did a much better job of making the hook on the end, of this one. I think my doctor would buy a few, if I was to make them, I just don't know that I am efficient enough to be able to make a profit. :?

Next is to see if I can drill a hole in a marble, with out breaking it. :shock:
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You mean a glass marble, or marble marble?
Patio

Post by Patio »

Liveaboard ; Glass marble! It did not work either. It shattered as the drill entered. To many fractures within the marble.

To Everyone;
I am still alive and kicking. I am semi retired now, remaining on with the company, as an employee and administrator, until my brother passes the Administrator's exam. Our business was run out of my garage, and now it is empty. :) I have started to move all the raw material out of all the shops and into the garage. Most of the bikes will end up in the garage too. When done, it should be a lot easier to get around in the shops.

The day before Thanksgiving, a lady fell asleep, blew the stop sign in front of our house and wrecked all 4 vehicles we owned.
Here is a video of the fateful moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6txgFG ... el=patio2u

The first two cars are getting fixed, as I write this. The van, which I had just bought from our company, had the body work done, and the labels removed, got totaled out. They made me a reasonable offer for it, so I took it. The truck they are trying to total and have offered me $12,000 for it, which is not even close to being reasonable. I have written to them with all the receipts I have. We will see what the next offer is. It has not been any fun going through this with them.

On a better note, I have done a couple of small projects. One is a machining project, the other is an electronics project.
I have a Marantz receiver in the shop that was given to me by a friend. One of the buttons was broken when I received it. The button is aluminum with an internal plastic piece. I had my brother print the internal piece. I tuned the al piece in the lathe and then held it in an emergency collet, so I could turn it to size with out messing it up. The walls are about .01" thick. I then made jig out of wood to hold it in place while the glue I used dried.

Turning to length.
IMG_20211028_172956.jpg
Wall size.
IMG_20211028_173117 - Copy.jpg
Jig for gluing.
IMG_20211030_141819.jpg
It came out well enough for me. The color of the aluminum, I used, is a little bluer than the originals, but I am good with it.
The other part that failed on the Marantz was the power switch. I ordered one I found on eBay, but it was not the same as mine. I took the original switch apart to find it is a single throw, double pole switch, that only one pole was being used. So I reassembled the switch, move the wiring to the other pole and all is good.
The switch.
IMG_20211024_114548.jpg
More in the next post, for more pictures. The limit has been reached for this post.
Attachments
IMG_20220104_140003.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

It started snowing here on Christmas Eve and did not stop until we had several inches on the ground. Usually the snow does not last long here. It stayed about a week and has finally melted off. The temperatures are still cold enough That I don't like heating the shops, unless I know I will be in there for a few days in a row, so most of the work I have been doing is in the house, work.
This is a transistor and component checker that I built from a kit. The kit cost less than a little more than 35 bucks. It comes with the board and all the components. One must solder the whole thing together. I would love to have had one of these during the time I was repairing electronics, for a living.
The kit with the components already soldered on the board.
IMG_20220104_140003.jpg
IMG_20220104_140019.jpg
Here it is installed in a case that was purchased at the same time as the kit. In this picture, it has identified the component to be a Bipolar transistor. It also identifies which leg of the component is what.
IMG_20220105_120918.jpg
I hope things get sorted out around here before too long, and then I should be able to get some more time in the shop to finish the many year long projects I have going. :)

I do hope this year is much better to everyone, than the last.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Holy Moly!! All four vehicles smacked! What are the odds?
I hope the "lady" driver get the books thrown at her. No excuses. Ever!
Glad you were unhurt. What a bummer.

Anyway, trust 2022 will get better for you.
RussN