Tailstock Tap and Die holder Tool for Lathe

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

A few years ago I made a tailstock Tap and Die holder and it is so handy I will pull it out even if I am only tapping or threading one part. It is easy to make and easy and fast to use.

liveaboard

Re: Tailstock Tap and Die holder Tool for Lathe

Post by liveaboard »

I like it.
Would prefer still pictures to the video though.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Nice work!

You'll find that spiral point or spiral flute taps work better than hand taps when power taping.

Hand taps are designed to have the chips broken about every turn due to their minimal gullet area.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Glenn said. Hand taps don't direct the chip, so it accumulates in the gullet and can lead to binding of the tap in the hole. Once that happens, a broken tap is almost guaranteed. You can usually get away from that problem when tapping thin materials with a through hole. I avoid anything that is greater than half the tap diameter in thickness.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

GlennW and Harold, You are correct but I get free hand taps so I use them and am extra careful not to bind them to much and snap them off.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice job 737mechanic!

I made something very similar but not with the tap holders, (which looking at your I like) and might just buy some...
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

737mechanic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 pm GlennW and Harold, You are correct but I get free hand taps so I use them and am extra careful not to bind them to much and snap them off.
You'll never know how expensive something is until it's free.

Your taps might be free, but your workpiece and your time are not - consider the cost of a broken tap.

Steve
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

SteveM wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 am
737mechanic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 pm GlennW and Harold, You are correct but I get free hand taps so I use them and am extra careful not to bind them to much and snap them off.
You'll never know how expensive something is until it's free.

Your taps might be free, but your workpiece and your time are not - consider the cost of a broken tap.

Steve
Although you are correct I have yet to break a tap so until then free will always win.