Speaker selection switch, and more than you wanted to know!

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Speaker selection switch, and more than you wanted to know!

Post by Harold_V »

tornitore45 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:58 pm Inspiring. A way of saying: Never settle for good enough, if something is worth doing is worth doing well.
True in almost all cases. However, those who work as I do are not wise to build a house. Way too much time wasted on things like returning a stud to the saw to remove 1/64".

I enjoy making things to exacting tolerances. For what ever reason, I am very tolerant of such things. Surprising, as I am not a tolerant person in general.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

That is one fine piece of sound switch. I find it interesting that we have similar music tastes. I to like all of Brubeck's work and I agree about Paul. My classic likes are very broad and there isn't much I can't listen to. I have to be in a very receptive mood listen to opera though. When I was working in government electronics with lots of long overtime in the 70s and 80s I often came home and played Beatovens(spelling!) Pastoral to wind down. My 1st system was Dynaco pre-amp, amp and FM tuner with some speakers that I bought in about 1960 while stationed at Ft. Bliss. Through a couple of systems upgrades I wound up with a very good Kenwood receiver and a pair of JBL L100T3 speakers I got at half price as a close out of the last two at Circuit City. Fortunately I was able to enjoy those JBLs for some years but now my hearing has deteriorated to the point where their sound is wasted on me. Space has always been a problem so the free standing JBLs don't take up much space and give very nice sound. When I was in my 20s I liked the AR speakers and the big Bozaks. In our lab we had a MacIntosh solid state amp that was capable delivering its full power (1000watss I think) into a dead short. It took them a long time to deliver it as all the power transistors had to be critically matched and there were a lot of them.
Cary
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Very nice. I too am a big JBL fan with L112s, modified L200/300s, Ethyl Mermans (JBL 2241 18"/ JBL 2251J 10"/Heil AMT), Altec Big Red Supers, Chartwell LS3/5As, and RSL 3600s.

I built my own remote controlled (key fob) A/B/X speaker switching system, with both line and speaker level matching, but used 20 amp relays to switch the speakers. The randomizer is of my own conception/design. I use a readily available 4-channel, key fob remote and could easily expand this to four sets of speakers. I use the four remote channels for A=Speaker A, B=Speaker B, C=Random Speaker, D=Speakers Mute.

Simple A/B switching with line level matching but omits the speaker level matching Lpads and randomizer.

JackF

Post by JackF »

Nyle, I too am a fan of pipe organ music. I inherited my dads' 70s vintage McIntosh equipment, 2100 power amp, C26 preamp and M78 FM tuner. Also his JBL 300 studio monitors. My dad used to love to demonstrate his outfit by playing Gus Farney(sp) at the Mighty Wurlitzer. I'm surprised the house never shook apart. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

toddalin,
Very impressive! Although beyond my capability.
All of my speakers use the 375 midrange drivers. If anything, they're a little on the sharp side, especially when driven hard. That's where the Bozak system had a slight edge, at least in my opinion. A bold, but soft midrange, not quite so piercing.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Very nice Harold.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

So last night I took a walk up to Queens Blvd , I'm in Sunnyside NY, and there was a dumpster outside a night club that is being demolished. So of course I have to see what is in the dumpster, and what I sight it was ….(2) EV SX500 cabinets and (3) boxes with what appears to be new 15" EV drivers...Score! Had to go back to the house , get the car and drag them home.

Nyle
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

What a score!

In my shop, I have a low/medium end Sony receiver and 4 AR book shelve speakers, and yes, the neighbors can sometimes tell when I am in the shop.
The best one is my next door neighbor had his stereo cranked on a local radio station. Not to be out done, I was on the same station and I cranked mine in the house. The cops were called on my neighbors brother who lives about a quarter of a mile down the street for loud music, he wasn't even home. :lol:
In the house, we have a set of Magnat (German) Speakers and an Adcom power amp with an Adcom preamp, high end stuff. We run the TV through the stereo as well so some of the movies get loud. :D My music tastes are a little different than Harolds.

Jim B
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:14 am
I had to chuckle when you said your system was overkill. Is there really such a thing? If I had means, I'd own one of McIntosh's 2,000 watts amps, although I have no idea what I'd do with the power.

Thanks for your very welcome comments.

H
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about clipping!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

rrnut-2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:53 am 4 AR book shelve speakers,
I have a pair of AR 2Ax speakers. Just had new foam surrounds put on them.

The only other speaker I'd have would be some JBL L-100's.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold, have you checked out Diana Krall? I suspect you might like her.

She is married to the musician Elvis Costello, who is one of my favorite artists.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 pm
Harold_V wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:14 am
I had to chuckle when you said your system was overkill. Is there really such a thing? If I had means, I'd own one of McIntosh's 2,000 watts amps, although I have no idea what I'd do with the power.

Thanks for your very welcome comments.

H
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about clipping!
True, but with the speakers I have currently, I strongly suspect I could do some serious damage. The JBL's are relatively efficient, unlike the speakers built by McIntosh, or even those Bozak Concert Grands. They demand a huge amount of power.

The amplifier I use has what Mc calls a power guard system. If it's driven to clipping, it automatically cuts back the power level to ensure there's no damage to the tweeters. I've driven it that hard only a couple times, playing Carmina Burana. It's hard to describe the level of sound ----as the amp can produce 800 watts/channel without clipping.
Harold, have you checked out Diana Krall? I suspect you might like her.
Surprisingly, yes, I have. They play her on the jazz station we get from Seattle--KNKX (they're online, playing jazz 24/7). I do enjoy her, and that's a little surprising to me, as I am not keen on most vocalists.

Good to see you back on the board. It's been a while.

H