Well, here is a must have tool room lathe!

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Well, here is a must have tool room lathe!

Post by Glenn Brooks »

image.jpg
Saw it on Craig's list out in Northern Idaho as I recall...
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Re: Well, here is a must have tool room lathe!

Post by Harold_V »

I shudder when I think of the chain damage being done to the ways of that machine.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If I bought that, I would have to get rid of my BIG lathe.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
JackF

Post by JackF »

If I bought that I would have to get a bigger lot to build a bigger shop. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

JackF wrote:If I bought that I would have to get a bigger lot to build a bigger shop. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
Then you'd be forced to build bigger locomotives!
~RN
pete

Post by pete »

Precision surfaces or not whoever chained that machine down doesn't know a thing about steel on steel friction. But you should automaticaly protect any surface from chain damage if your trying to do a decent job. No support under the headstock end? Where's the original headstock support for that end? One bad deep pothole while transporting it could quickly get you a short bed lathe. Not a hope I'd haul that machine around the block with the way it's secured. Still a fairly small lathe tho. We had one a bit bigger at the first mine I worked at. The headstock looks a lot like it might be a Monarch? Running a search on Youtube for Super Lathe will pull up an older corporate sales pitch for a pretty impressive roll lathe. Think the original video was possibly done in the late 1980's - early 1990's. It has some fairly inovative features that would only be possible when the machines cost is a lot less important than it's performance.
pete

Post by pete »

Correction, late 1950's - early 1960s for that super lathe video.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:33 am I shudder when I think of the chain damage being done to the ways of that machine.

Harold
It's probably on the way to the scrapyard. Wait until you see it dumped upside-down on top of a pile of rusty screw machines.