Looking for a part for an 11" Sheldon lathe

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Looking for a part for an 11" Sheldon lathe

Post by Mr Ron » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:23 pm

I am looking for a "push-off collar" used with the handwheel draw-in collet attachment. The part # is: S-1169. Does anyone have one they would sell?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi

Harold_V

Re: Looking for a part for an 11" Sheldon lathe

Post by Harold_V » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:45 am

Shouldn't be all that hard to make.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:59 pm

Harold_V wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:45 am

H
I tried to make one using a 2-1/4 - 8 hex nut, but it would not fit. I thought my spindle had a UNC thread, but I guess not. If I tried to make one from raw stock, what steel would I use? 1045, 1144, 12L14? I guess the best would be to use a hollow steel tube, threaded 2-1/4 -8, knurled on the outside with a hole for a spanner.

Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:52 pm

Harold_V wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:45 am

H
I was able to find a piece of 316 SS pipe, 2.875" OD x 0.552" wall (sch XXH) on Ebay. The cost is $65.12 for a 12" long piece. I think there will be enough "meat" for the thread, but not sure if the OD (2.875) will be enough to serve as a push-off collar. The only other alternative I can think of is to use a 3.000 OD round bar. Either way, it will cost.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:08 pm

Mr Ron wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:59 pm
I tried to make one using a 2-1/4 - 8 hex nut, but it would not fit. I thought my spindle had a UNC thread, but I guess not.
If you own a set of those inexpensive thread pitch wires, measure your spindle to determine a pitch diameter. What the resulting measurement is determined to be isn't all that important, but it would allow you to make a short plug gauge that is the same pitch diameter as your spindle. You would use that plug gauge to determine the fit for the push-off collar. Same type of deal if you were trying to make an adapter for a chuck.
If I tried to make one from raw stock, what steel would I use? 1045, 1144, 12L14?
If the project was mine, I don't think I'd obsess much over the material type. An item like this doesn't get a lot of use, and will hold up just fine for the hobby environment, even in the soft state. Even aluminum would work, although you'd be better served with steel. Use what you have at your disposal, but if you intend to make a purchase, it's hard to go wrong with Stressproof, as it machines nicely.
I guess the best would be to use a hollow steel tube, threaded 2-1/4 -8, knurled on the outside with a hole for a spanner.
A spanner is desirable, but knurling will be damaged by the spanner. You might consider cutting a shallow relief groove in the center, so the spanner doesn't have to contact any knurling. Were this my project, I'd knurl the collar, then, using a 90° tool set @ 45°, I'd simply cut a channel just beyond the knurl depth, centered on the pin hole, and a little wider than the spanner. I'd also use the same tool to cut a chamfer on both edges of the collar. Simple, clean and effective.

You can do it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm

I would not make from stainless steel.

12l14 is easy to machine for those less experienced at id thread cutting

Wear and strength are not an issue.

As a last resort you can purchase a cheapie chuck back plate that is threaded and cut away all that you do not want.

A back plate for a 4" or 5" chuck is not that expensive.

Shars.com has them
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 pm

FWiW…the Clausing part that serves the identical function is made from aluminum.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:50 pm

Shars.com has a back plate threaded tour size for under $50

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 am

Bill Shields wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm
I would not make from stainless steel.
I fully agree. The 300 series tends to gall easily, although it would likely be fine on steel. It machines nicely, assuming one observes slow surface speeds, but it does not respond well to roughing cuts, aside from 303 or 302. If I had to make stainless a choice, I'd select 416.

Harold

Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:47 am

Thank you all for your replys. The only reason I choose 316 SS was it was the only size available. I have been using the 5C adapter for a long time without a collar, but recently heard that by not using the collar, I risk distorting the headstock spindle. The spindle around the MT appears pretty beefy to be distorted by tightening the drawbar. I don't have any thread wires, so the Shars chuck back plate sounds good.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm

The only purpose the collar serves is to get the 5c adapter out without damaging the spindlenose ot threads with whatever other method is used.

Anyone that says it does anything else is misinformed

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Bill Shields wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Anyone that says it does anything else is misinformed
Yep! Think about it. Even annealed mild steel has a tensile strength of 30+ tons. Enough pressure to deform the spindle would border on the impossible.

If memory serves, the lathe has been owned for decades. At what point would one assume the spindle is deformed, if it is still in its original state?

Beyond that logic, consider the FACT that threads do not make intimate contact. Even when fully tightened, there's space between the teeth. If there was not, the thread wouldn't function as intended. Unless the thread is tapered and engaged fully, it does little to constrain the mating part. The protection offered by the desired collar is from abrasion to the exposed thread. Being hardened, as I suspect it is, even that is marginal.

H