Big blow, twisters and winds in Arizona.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

mcostello

Re: Big blow, twisters and winds in Arizona.

Post by mcostello »

Since when in History did climate NOT change?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You've missed the point.
IF man is contributing to climate change (call it global warming if you wish) and we continue the course, we can pass a tipping point, at which time there is no way we can reverse the condition.

I have never, nor will I ever, argue that there is not normal climate change. Science knows that the earth has experienced prolonged periods of both hot and cold. The real question is----is that what's happening now? There's adequate evidence to support the idea that it is not.

There was a report on 60 Minutes, many years ago, in which a gentleman named Hansen, who is a leading authority on the subject, provided ample evidence to support the theory. He has endured no end to problems as a result of his findings, including being jailed. Some people simply will not accept information with which they do not agree.

I've encountered more than a few who refuse to acknowledge the *possibility* that we are in a warming period. Regardless of how much evidence is presented, or the source, it is rejected, just as it is being rejected here. I have also taken note that it is almost ALWAYS political in nature, with one party supporting the concept, while the other party rejects the idea. That's hardly scientific, and discloses the weakness of both parties.

Armed with this thought, it is obvious that there can be no rational discussion on this subject on this board, because personal beliefs or wants will override any solid evidence presented, regardless of on which side one finds himself.

I expect that this will be the last comment made in regards to climate change. I don't want to see this thread turn in to a contest that has no resolution.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
J. Randall

Post by J. Randall »

I am going to have to stand with those who say yes, we have climate change, always have, one direction or the other. Is mankind contributing to it in any significant way, I think it borders on being arrogant for us to believe that. As far as our recording of temps long enough to prove anything, the info we have is but a blip in the earths climate history. Not enough to prove anything.

The way I understand it to our best understanding with the true data available, we have warmed somewhere between 1 and 2 degrees in the last century. I also understand that the needle has hardly moved either way in the last 17 yrs, and it was not long before that the same people were crying that we were approaching another ice age. Last I heard Co2 made up about one tenth of one percent of our atmosphere, and remember all of the vegetation on this earth depends on it, as we do the oxygen that they produce.

I can't produce the citations, but remember reading several yrs. ago about ice core samples taken, probably in the Arctic , that covered several radical changes in the earths temperature, and they always indicated a Co2 buildup before a cooling period, instead of the other way around. Another thing that is never mentioned, is how much this country has cleaned up our own air and water since Nixon instituted the EPA.

To conclude, I think we are doing great, and we should just focus on our many other problems, until the rest of this old world halfway catches up to our standards, probably be cooling down again by then.
James
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Here's a link that provides excellent data.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Featur ... altemp.php

Of course, for those who insist it's not true, no number of cites will be adequate.

Lets agree to disagree and drop the subject.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.