Yellow Jackets

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

earlgo

Yellow Jackets

Post by earlgo »

I know that this is an old warning, but it is getting to be spring in the northern states, and we are starting to do yard work with the gloves we stashed in the garage or shed last fall. Beware that sometimes those nasty yellow jackets (wasps) hibernate in the fingers of those gloves. Trust me that you should check the fingers before jamming your own hand into the glove. It hurt. But the good news is that I got a good cardio exercise out of just putting on a glove. :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
STRR

Re: Yellow Jackets

Post by STRR »

earlgo,

I know EXACTLY how you hurt/feel. BTDT! I have since practiced a new procedure for putting on gloves that have been in the garage: First, take the gloves one at a time and shake them out as if you were emptying dirt from the fingers with the cuff down. Second, throw the on the ground and stomp on them being sure to flatten the fingers. Thus, anything left in the gloves/fingers will be appropriately flattened into the next dimension. So far, this has worked very well for me. Evidently I have scared them all away from my gloves since none have been found attempting a "sneak attack".

I feel your pain, my friend,
Terry
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Haven't had that happen, and I'm glad!
I know one thing that is worse......a scorpion in your boot. One of those little translucent ones.
Double :shock:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
rudd

Post by rudd »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 pm Haven't had that happen, and I'm glad!
I know one thing that is worse......a scorpion in your boot. One of those little translucent ones.
Double :shock:
Glad to hear some one else has experienced this. I wasn't sure if I had stuck my foot in boiling water or an electric socket. Mine was one of the black ones found in S. Florida.
Oddly enough, I had the proper tool in hand when I shook her (it had babies on it) out of my boot.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

A couple of days ago, I got on the tractor to move it and got a sting in my hand. A yellow jacket on the under side of the steering wheel, ouch. Glad I am not allergic to them. Got to be careful everywhere.

Jim B
NP317

Post by NP317 »

'Tis the wasp and yellow jacket season here.
I make inspections around our buildings, spraying several new nests each day!
So it goes.
RussN