OP even for the Junk Drawer - Corona virus

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: OP even for the Junk Drawer - Corona virus

Post by tornitore45 »

Googles or a full face shield, and particle masks.
Full face mounted on top of a hard hat, hat is what I wore to the grocery store.
Wife scolded me like a teenager "You are not going out in public like that"
What is the matter with women?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

In this case, you are her knight.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

In this case, you are her knight.
Yea, sure, maybe 30 years ago
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

spro, I'm dry eye sufferer too, if you haven't done so I find moisturizing eye drops very helpful, Systane Ultra is brand I use.
I also use a eyewash especially since my shop is surrounded with wood workers and they habitually blow things off and take air showers
at the end of the day. The eye wash really helps alleviate the itchy grittiness
spro

Post by spro »

This is so true. I had been using two types of eye drops for a couple months. Not every day but something was going on. It wasn't the pollen. I will try the Systane Ultra. I think I should try safety glasses more often.
spro

Post by spro »

Zicam is good too. It isn't for flu virus but say it is good for colds - which are virus.
spro

Post by spro »

We do try and deck up with safety glasses and masks. Even the cheapest film gloves. There is a procedure for this .... it is so horrible, i cannot say. All the street and sidewalk dust into my eyes.This virus lingers on cats and dogs paws, over and over. A person comes home and doesn't remove the shoes.
spro

Post by spro »

I think it is day-to-day infection. Masks and barriers are the norm now. Of course the pollen is blasting all over now. One doesn't know which or what is causing distress. Then it becomes too late.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Our local pharmacy doesn't let anyone inside; they made a quick inner door with a glass window and a slot to pass things through, customers have to stay outside.
They told me best to phone in my order next time, they'll have it packed. This to minimize customers crowding together outside.

Extending this principle, I phoned the local tractor repair shop and ordered 2 hydraulic hoses to be made. I told him I'm not even going to enter the shop and he agreed that's a good idea.
The mechanic isn't as well organized as the pharmacy, I know him well; he's nearly as absent minded as I am. He forgot.
But the idea is sound.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

A chauvinistic plot is what my wife calls it. She is trying make masks for some medical friends, but the places that sell fabric, tape, and elastic are closed or out or both.

However, Lowes, HD, welding supply,...are all open....
spro

Post by spro »

It is confounding. I salute your wife for trying and confident she could help many. It may be different in Va but almost all the big fabric/ sewing/knitting/crafts stores closed a couple years ago. I have some military gas masks. New fashion perhaps.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh Liveaboard, I'm not blowing past your reply. It is helpful and like in Portugal, there are extreme measures here. From one day to another the local pharmacy is changing. A person will be scolded for not having certain distance between others. Face masks are the norm and eye protection also.