OP even for the Junk Drawer - Corona virus

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: OP even for the Junk Drawer - Corona virus

Post by spro »

This is good advise with a twist. We aren't supposed to get tested if we don't have evidence of the virus but they have to test the blood.
Something else about eyebolts. We can wear masks and very good ones. Nobody mentions the "eyes". Our eyes don't sense pain but they are open organs. I've been battling "dry eyes" and stuff for over a month. It manifests in the cuticles, eyelids and becomes itchy. Fingers and knuckles not perfectly disinfected add to the problem. Not trying to raise the bar. I think we may need eye protection.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm not retired, but my work office is in my shop, and of course my side projects are all there. My wife says I only come into the house to eat, take a shower or got to bed. And I have a shower in the shop. So, for me, SNAFU is the norm
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Googles or a full face shield, and particle masks.
We have the gear.
spro

Post by spro »

Being in a drug store along the aisle of empty shelves; No Lysol or anything resembling it, I detected a person walking directly to the pharmacy. I had a good n95 mask in my chest pocket. Within split second I noticed she was carrying a toddler on her shoulder. I stood and backed away for her to proceed and the toddler .. coughed right right in my face. He wasn't supposed to cough on momma's neck but that doesn't mean he was supposed to blast the next human being either. Stuff happens.
spro

Post by spro »

Full face shields? Maybe you are on to it. We don't want to look that way, pride or looking grotesque. Interesting times where it may save another.
The another may be us.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Your eyes are connected to the respiratory system via tear ducts, that's why you get a runny nose when you tear up.
So face shields are a way to prevent infection.
spro

Post by spro »

That explains the symptoms I've had for a while. I probably got it a month ago. Runny nose and constant wiping, irritating the skin. Dry eyes and dry mouth. I had planned to find some Lysol products today but after the first drive, I was spent. I just couldn't breath through the N-95 mask very well.
Mine don't have exhale/ exhaust valve. They would fog the lenses when doing stuff. AFAIK , N-95 can be two types and only one should be called a ventilator.
Last edited by spro on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:17 pm Our eyes don't sense pain
I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I have something in an eye. No pain. It's all in my head!
Personal experiences lead me to think that eyes do sense pain. Mine don't seem to like it!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I felt the same pains. but don't they manifest from a combination of sensors. The eyelids, tear ducts and muscles involved with rapid blinking. Trying to get the shard out. Part of the eye is Corona .
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks H and jcfx thanks too. Canines. It's a moving target. They have so much saliva and licking all the time. They lick more upon the humans because they are in distress. This is bad news. I mean, If you didn't see it, there are cases of dogs transmitting the Corona.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm taking a class on coronovirus, including things like epidemiology, modeling, forecasting, vaccine development, etc...

One of the studies presented took data from travelers who left China and calculated backwards from that.

What they found was that the Chinese are under-reporting stuff by a factor of about 20.

Not that that would surprise anyone, but it was interesting to see it quantified.

Steve
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm
spro wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:17 pm Our eyes don't sense pain
I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I have something in an eye. No pain. It's all in my head!
:lol:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D