AW Haydon synchronous motor

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

AW Haydon synchronous motor

Post by jcfx »

Anyone familiar with these little synchronous clock motors ?
I'm currently working on getting a paper feed mechanism to work on an old Xerox Telecopier machine, the mechanism is rather simple,
rubber covered rollers are driven by a bunch of bevel gears that is in turn driven by a small old AW Haydon 24 volt 24-25 rpm
AC synchronous gear motor. I'm not sure if the motor is fubar, or it requires capacitor start for such a small motor, turning the shaft of the
motor by hand it doesn't turn most likely because I'm going against the gearing ratio, but the gears do jiggle so I'm assuming that the gears are free and not bound up.
Hooking up a wall wart AC stepdown 120 to 24vac transformer the motor does nothing.
Not being that familiar with this type of motor can I assume that the motor is done for because of old age ?
And does polarity matter on a AC synchronous motor ?
Back of Motor
Back of Motor
Motor in situ and bevel gear drive assembly
Motor in situ and bevel gear drive assembly
Russ Hanscom

Re: AW Haydon synchronous motor

Post by Russ Hanscom »

As far as I know, those motors are practically indestructible. No capacitor is required - just 24 VAC - and not many amps at that. No polarity. Confirm you have 24 V at the terminals - if so and it does not go, look for another.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

check windings for continuity, pop of cover and see if you can turn the motor disk by hand . the covers are often malformed preventing operation.

motor that will meet this spec are available online.

ok are we doing fax or sstv or ??
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Russ, hammermill, thanks for chiming in, I've been looking for a drop in replacement but there's nothing out there, there are similar motors with
similar specs but I don't think I have the time to wait for it arrive from China.
I guess checking the continuity of the windings requires opening the motor, the unfortunate thing about this unit is that it's a museum piece
on loan for a shoot, so I have to do no damage to it, so opening up the motor is definitely not possible, if it was a purchase by the
production company then I would happily open it.
I do have plans to redo the paper drive system using the existing components with a small robot gear motor of the same rpm , but I'll have clear it before proceeding.

hammermill, even if the unit was functional ( I only have to make the paper feed work ) I doubt that there's another unit out there that's still functioning
to send to, there's not a lot of info out there on Telecopiers.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Should be possible to find a 120VAC direct replacement.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

the covers are a simple press on cover. to check continuity use a ohm meter connected to the two motor leads

a telecopieur was a earlier fax machine they used thermal paper if memory served me right
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

It's also possible that the grease in the gearbox and/or the oil on the motor bearings has hardened. If so you might be able to get it going by squirting in WD40 if you can't open it up (Yes! An actual use for WD40!)

You might want to contact these people: http://www.hansen-motor.com/product/ac/ ... s-C-mount/ Talk to a sales engineer and tell him what you are doing.
chacologistics

Post by chacologistics »

I REALIZE THIS IS AN OLD POST BUT I HAVE 10 OF THESE CLOCK MOTORS. THE HAYDON MOTOR IS PART OF A LARGER GEARED ASSEMBLY
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Very common in the old days driving chart recorders, the primary gear was the common casualty flogging out.