Casting and foundry work

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Casting and foundry work

Post by Mr Ron »

When I was in college (Pratt Institute), back in 1950, I had a class in foundry and pattern making. I would be black all over after using graphite bags to dust the molds. Foundry work is a very dirty job. The OT reminded me of the gear spider that I cast for my Sears Dunlap metal lathe.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
reubenT

Re: Casting and foundry work

Post by reubenT »

It's dirty work. But I like dirty work, the dirtier it is the funner it gets. Well. I just do it because of what it will create. I have this wired urge to go bigger with it. Up to maybe a capacity of several hundred lb iron castings. I don't think it'd be hard to do. Just takes a bit larger furnace and longer handled tools. A lot of little foundries and shops did it from early 1800's on up through mid 1900's, the brands on the old engines were many. I can do it again and create a new brand. Just for fun and usefulness, not for business so much. I prefer to make things and then put them to work helping me with business instead of just selling them and making another one. Set things up just right so I can have everything under control without getting very close. Maybe a fully mechanically controlled ladle for handling the iron so I can just work it off to the side with push buttons. A long T handle is fine for stabilization but do the lifting and tilting with electric winches. Wanna get where I can pour full size beds and flywheels for decent size engines. And big ole cylinders. I always knew I could do anything I set my mind to do. All I need is the agriculture going sort of successful so I don't have to be too concerned where my next dollar is gonna come from. Gimme some time away from critical stuff an I could get into some interesting stuff.