YouTube casting versus the real world

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

philbert

YouTube casting versus the real world

Post by philbert »

So I've seen a number of folk on YouTube (mrpete222, clickspring, among others) making small castings for flywheels and so forth from various non-ferrous materials (aluminum, lead, bronze). I'm sure it's harder than it looks, and their good results are no doubt testament to both talent and experience, but it does look achievable.

I'm wondering how much harder it is to cast larger things out of iron? So rather than a 3" flywheel out of lead, what about a 6" or 9" flywheel out of iron?
DavidF

Re: YouTube casting versus the real world

Post by DavidF »

The trick is getting the iron up to temp quickly under the right conditions. It is possible to do it in a home foundry setting, but the iron temperatures really take a toll on the furnace and crucibles. Your better off cutting your teeth with some aluminum and work your way into bronze before going for cast iron.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is not so much the glob of metal that is made, it is the end result desired. A lead flywheel is good on weight, but too soft for durability. Aluminum is too light for inertia to be good for a wheel. Lead is a poor material for a cylinder, but easy to carve and work, if making a pattern. Bronze better than brass on most counts but most expensive. Cast iron is cheaper, and nearly the temperature for bronze, so it is the next logical step in the learning. It is just the idea of making fishing sinkers and taking the next step and its nuances to get a part engineered for your use. What is acceptable. The devil is in the details.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
philbert

Post by philbert »

Thanks all,

I did find a gentleman doing some cast iron work that showed some of the cast iron specific issues. Quite an interesting series of videos

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Philbert: What you linked to is another prime example of the trash that exists on the net. This guy has all home built stuff that is faulty in many ways, and a prime example of how a novice can get into trouble or injured. In my honest opinion, buy or borrow a book on casting by C W Ammen, and read it before you spend a minute on making anything. He wrote and published much of his foundry experience in several books on casting, molding and running a foundry from experience. In is collection of works are the gems that will provide success without the learning curve failures of re-inventing the wheel. I would tell you that the practice of foundry is basic to repair and manufacture, but is a hobby all in its own right. The Navy published some founding booklets that are good guides too. So my advice is read, read, read, before you commit any effort to foundry because of some amateur video. Other wise, get a tin can, bust a car battery, and pour some fish sinkers in the driveway sand. Everything else would be similar.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
philbert

Post by philbert »

Certainly not something I plan on trying any time soon - and I agree some of these folks seem very unsafe. The part where he nearly trips on the plastic bucket while carrying the full crucible was scary.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I hadnt seen this guys videos until you posed the one up. Im looking forward to seeing more of his videos and his progress on his engine build.
jagboy69

Post by jagboy69 »

Youtube is make believe. I BS all my videos... Just kidding. I try to show my success and failures. There is some really good yt channels that aren't in it for the views or $$. You just gotta seek them out.
Here's mine.

https://youtu.be/EwcSqG67CN8
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting!
I trust your furnace is oil fired? What size crucible are you using, and how long does it take to melt a given heat, starting with a cold furnace?
I noticed an auto engine crank in the video. Have you used them for making castings? They should be of excellent quality, and are generally ductile iron.
Are you using any additives (like ferrosilicon)?
Judging from the cuts, you aren't experiencing any chilling. I wouldn't expect any considering the thickness of your castings, but have you found any?
What sand are you using, and how is it tempered?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

While melting iron in a crucible works, and may be the best way if only occasional very small amounts are needed. I'd go with a small cupola furnace for iron. Fairly easy an cheap to build, easy to use, just have to experiment with one a few times to get it's characteristics worked out. I found Stewart Marshall's book "Building Small Cupola Furnaces" to be excellent on the subject. Unless solid fuel is awfully hard to get. They all ran on hardwood charcoal long ago. So just scrap wood is needed. Even softwood charcoal would work I'm sure, and discarded shipping pallets would work. Although coke burns hotter and takes much less of it. Getting it to work on charcoal takes a little more adjustment to get it going just right. Although heating the blast and adding a little used oil to the blast could both add heat and make the charcoal easier to get plenty of heat out of. I have a forest full of hardwood to play with so it's unlimited for my hobby work.