Big machine guard made.

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

aametalmaster

Big machine guard made.

Post by aametalmaster »

Many moons ago i was a sheet metal worker and made 100's of these over the years. Well today i was called to duty to make a few more right away. So anyway here are a few pics on how they are made. Layed out from a sheet of 14 ga black steel then the side is wrapped around the layout line and tacked. Then it is 100% welded inside and all of the excess trimmed off the outside. Then an identical sheet that has the same layout except reversed is layed on the top of the bench and the sheet with the side is tacked the same way to it. Then it has the big hole cut out with a nibbler so i can get my head inside and weld it 100%. Then it is trimmed on the outside also. Now some more layout work and a few more cut outs with the nibbler and wizz wheel on a grinder. Then the guard is split longways and angle tacked to bolt it back together. Some exp metal is added as well as some bolts and nuts and it is pretty much done adding some handles and a few mounting brackets...Bob
Attachments
guard 001.jpg
guard 002.jpg
guard 003.jpg
guard 004.jpg
guard 006.jpg
Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
Salem, Ohio

http://www.chaski.com
aametalmaster

Re: Big machine guard made.

Post by aametalmaster »

A few more pics...Bob
Attachments
guard 011.jpg
guard 012.jpg
guard 013.jpg
guard 014.jpg
guard 015.jpg
Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
Salem, Ohio

http://www.chaski.com
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Nice
Fabitfast

Post by Fabitfast »

That's a very nice job. Post more pics soon!
MariaPinto

Post by MariaPinto »

Great job. Keep up the great work. :)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

That looks similar to the punch press guards that were made for the machines I ran in my department. I was a Diesetter in the 70's for the Press and Bend department with 17 machines, and up to 5 operators running hand feed and semi auto bolt jobs. FUN.
Did many tons of clevis pins, bent pins, and plow bolts. Also Vega front end bolts, and aircraft seat belt bolts.

It was the first job that closed and forced me out, as another company took over the business group, and parted out the works they had no use for.

I appreciate your work.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.