Fitting and bonding corrugated metal roofing sheets

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Fitting and bonding corrugated metal roofing sheets

Post by ctwo »

There is an ~6x20 foot blind notch between the house and garage. It looks like a storage or grinding room to me. 8) The eve of the garage and house are separated by ~13 inches and I wanted to fashion a half-pipe "gutter" to fit between them. I chose corrugated, galvanized metal roofing sheet to do this. It should be fairly stable once installed as I'll fashion bulkheads between the fascia boards to support the corrugated steel and I'll tuck the edges under the existing drip flashing.

I'm trying to work out how to make and bond end-caps. One end fits up against the perpendicular fascia of the house so I need to close that off. The other end could pour out onto the driveway, but I'd like to put a down-spout there. I think I can solder end caps using the same corrugated sheet, just having some trouble figuring out how to get a good mechanical bond, and cutting it for a good fit.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Re: Fitting and bonding corrugated metal roofing sheets

Post by Bill Shields »

a picture or 10 would help
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Several options.

Some rivets to hold things in position are usually a good start or you can use sheet metal screws or clamps and move them along. Galvanized can be soldered, with caution, watch the fumes. Or, you could use a mastic roofing tape and then rivets for a fairly durable result.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 pm a picture or 10 would help
Nothing to show yet except for a couple of close eves and a piece of corrugated steel on the ground below. I want to put ends on something like this, where the edge of the eves will be on both left/right sides.
Attachments
corrugated-gutter.PNG
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Could you use flat, un corrugated, sheet metal? That would make fitting end pieces ever so much easier.

Or, what about making the end caps out of fiberglass? That would could be laid up in place to match the corrugations.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Sealing that stuff is a bear...especially when the corrugations can become water traps....which no matter what you do will end up leaking.

All for Russ' recommendation to use something else
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I think I will make 1/4" cuts on the ends every half inch or so and bend the metal "tabs" up 90 degrees to form an edge, then I will use a flat piece for the end cap and solder both sides, making a fillet on the inside. I might be surprised if I can solder it. I tried to silver solder cast zinc and it just beaded up - and the zinc was melting.

I looked around home depot and they did not have much to choose from. They did have the plastic/fiberglass corrugated stuff too.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:29 pm I tried to silver solder cast zinc and it just beaded up - and the zinc was melting.
Zinc can not be silver soldered due to the melting point of the zinc as compared to silver solder.
You most likely could achieve acceptable results by using silver bearing solder, however, assuming you use an acceptable flux. Melting point for that stuff is far below the melting point of zinc. The added silver provides greater tensile strength.

Just sayin'!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Look for a local sheet metal shop. They should be able to provide flat stock and any basic working, like if you needed some 2" wide material they could shear a 4ft wide sheet in half.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I test soldered a corner with some plumber's paste flux and "stained glass" solder. It melted in and disappeared, then dripped out an inch or so away.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In order to achieve success, you're going to have to limit the amount of heat introduced. If you use a torch, that's most likely not going to happen. Common practice in the old days was to use an iron. By controlling the temperature of the iron, you get melting at the point of contact, and freezing as you move along. I suspect that's going to be what works in this case. That, or, if you happen to have one of the Smith mini-torches you might achieve your goal using one of the fine tips. In their old literature they show a solder joint being accomplished inside a cigarette, without igniting the paper.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have one of those little torches and they are great for small parts.. like jewelry

The problem is going to be heat conduction away from the intended joint with a large piece of metal