Bought Diacro brake... did i screw up?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

trader_joe

Bought Diacro brake... did i screw up?

Post by trader_joe »

Just bought this diacro brake for $300 plus 180 shipping...

considering cancelling the order before the guy ships

the listing said comes as pictured no returns... seller cant tell me ANYTHING he is basically useless at this type of stuff...

from the pictures does it look like anything is missing?

also... it is listed as a "finger brake"... actually i found a vintage manual explaining this model... it explains that it is a regular non finger brake.. but they sold accessories that let you swap out the normal "forming bar" for a finger attatchment... a radius bend forming bar... or a bar folder forming bar... and this DEFINITELY has the finger attatchment... the fingers would mount a little differently from today's machines... they would slide underneath the track where the bolts are and be bolted from above...

but it looks like the fingers are either missing... or there seems to be some sort of full length "apron" in place of the fingers ... i am not sure if diacro sold some kind of apron that was designed attatch to the finger mount...

also there is a huge gap between the "apron" and the bolts where the fingers are usually mounted... im not sure how this could be at all strong... see the picture with the red markups...
Attachments
brqke.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Bob D.

Re: Bought Diacro brake... did i screw up?

Post by Bob D. »

It's definitely missing some pieces. They may be available new but will be expensive. I doubt you will ever find them used.
I searched high and low for a deal on typical fingers. Never found second hand..... plenty of machines missing them!
I would spend more money on something complete.

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

trader_joe wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 pm Just bought this diacro brake for $300 plus 180 shipping...
I'd pass on it if I were you. There seem to be a lot of missing parts. Where are the fingers?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
trader_joe

Post by trader_joe »

there appears to be some kind of full length apron... instead of the usual fingers... for procedures more resembling to bar folding...

but theres a gap between this apron and the actual track where the bolts go... towards the back... (the fingers go underneath the track and are bolted from the top...

heres a pdf i found that explains it... the brake starts off as a regular brake... but the company (back in the 50s) sold accessories to transform it into a finger brake, etc... i actually found the regular basic model but the seller isnt responding to my questions and if i sent the money id probably still never get a responce... hes probably out to lunch permenantly

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/4049/17391.pdf

heres the regular version... as you can see it only does 90 degree bends... and the weird ribbon strips in the back are part of the fence for setting your measurements... the trapezoidal thing is the clamping die... forming bar... whatever you wanna call it

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/W3MAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I think the gap at the bend area is because the adjustment for this is completely backed off. Neat brake if you had all the parts and accessories.
Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
trader_joe

Post by trader_joe »

im talking about the vertical gap between the apron and where it MIGHT be bolted... above it.... see the red markups in one of the pictures i posted
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I would pas on it. It looks like it has very small capacity besides missing parts.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I know where there is a Diacro finger brake that might be for sale. Unfortunately the owner knows the price for a new one, $4600. It is complete except for a 1" finger missing. I made a new steel hinge for one side of it due the the original one being broken at the dowel hole. It is located at Geneseo, IL. If interested PM me and I will give you contact info.