Brown Boggs edger help, please

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Torch

Brown Boggs edger help, please

Post by Torch »

A tin-knocker friend of mine is setting himself up in his own business, and is trying to acquire the necessary tools to outfit a small fab shop. He picked up a Brown Boggs edger that looks very similar to this:

https://cdn-empiremachineryt.netdna-ssl ... G_0454.jpg

(Might be a model #44?)

It only came with the one set of rollers, and he would like them modified. I thought they might thread on, but they don't seem to want to unthread. Before I wreck something, is there anyone familiar with this that can advise how to remove/change the rollers?
JackF

Re: Brown Boggs edger help, please

Post by JackF »

It looks like they have spanner holes to remove them. If so they must screw on. They probably have never been off. Try heating the arbors, then pour on some Kroil, then melt some wax in with the mix. As it all cools, the mix may get sucked in. Let us know how it works.

Jack.
Bob D.

Re: Brown Boggs edger help, please

Post by Bob D. »

Generally there is a seperate round spanner nut that sits inside the roller. The roller is keyed to the shaft and the spanner nut keeps it from falling off. The rollers are never threaded as they would try and unscrew during use, and you usually want to be able to crank in either direction. I have seen these tools where the roll form is the shaft and none removable as a seperate unit. Often these handformers were set up for one task and you had a benchfull.
Your pic doesn't clearly show a parting line of a nut so it may well be one piece.

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0