Bead Roller

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Bead Roller

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There were some edges on the FJ 40 floor pan that really called for a bead roller to get uniform contours. I checked the harbor fright offering and found it wanting, so off to the parts box. Other than $30 for the gears from Ebay it was all indigenous bits. The throat is adjustable in case a bit longer reach is ever needed. The rollers are easily changed so any profile I desire can be turned on the lathe then installed. Not a bad for a three day detour, now back to the floor pan.
DSC03613.JPG
DSC03614.JPG
warmstrong1955

Re: Bead Roller

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nice Russ!
A whole lot superior to the cheapies out there.
I bought one from Summit racing, very much similar to the Horror Freight model. A Woodward Fab thing.
The rollers didn't move apart with heavier steel sheet, they moved laterally. I welded on some angle stiffeners.
I should have built one like you did!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Nice work, Russ!

I looked at the imports and then stumbled onto a used Pexto with a box of dies and never looked back.

I supplemented it with a 6' length of 2 1/4" Stressproof and make whatever I need for dies.
DSC00261.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Finding a good used one was a thought, but there was nothing suitable at the time. I will make dies as needed. The bearings are aluminum with grease fittings so it will last.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice!

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

There are a lot of things in Glenn's shop that I covet... so just make that one more thing on the list...

I diddled around didn't pull the trigger quick enough on a 24" Pexto finger break a few years back, and kick myself frequently over that. But I've yet to find anything resembling a deal on a nice bead roller, or much of anything else with the Pexto name on it for that matter. Me, I've got an upgraded HF roller that gets the job done when needed.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

A used sheet metal equipment dealer popped up less than a mile from me when I was in my old shop.

Prices were excellent, so I picked up a 10' Chicago Apron Brake and the bead roller.

Soon after that they closed up.

I wish I would have done a bit more shopping while I had the chance!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I made a set of dies for my bead roller, one smooth and the other knurled in an attempt to simulate diamond plate on my 1" scale locomotive running boards....it almost worked. Since the shafts on my roller aren't parallel, I made the die diameters so they would be parallel when rolling 1/16" aluminum strip. Only problem is they aren't parallel, on 1-1/2" wide strip only half of the running board gets embossed. Do you think I should put a slight taper on one of the rollers to get an even pressure? Thanks,
John