PowCon multiprocess power 400sm

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Widetrackman

PowCon multiprocess power 400sm

Post by Widetrackman »

I am thinking about purchasing a PowCon 400SM w/ a RC 250 pulse control. Does anybody have any comments and value of this power source? Any info appreicated.
cope

Re: PowCon multiprocess power 400sm

Post by cope »

I guess you are looking at one of the units on Ebay. I think it would be a great deal, especially as good as they look. Add a wire feed, Stick cables and Tig torch and you are set up.

Let me add that I think it will run Tig. Ian at Arc Products can confirmn or deny this.

800-770-0063
Widetrackman

Post by Widetrackman »

Thanks Cope, Do you, Scott or anyboby else know how the performance of this machine is for Mig (spray and pulse) w/ 230/240 single phase and how they hold up. Spec's look good. 300amp 32v @ 60 % duty cycle but will it do it on the top end. Thanks again.
cope

Post by cope »

I have only played around at high end on my PowCon 200SM but I can tell you that they have plenty capacity and if anything are coinseratively rated. There are several people over at Hobart Weld Talk who have the 300 and one guy has a couple of them. Downside is that since they are out of production repair parts can be pricey but they are bullet proof. Many are still in use in shipyard work. For stick work they are awesome and way conservative on settings.
David Mat

Post by David Mat »

I have bought a 400 sm mig tig stick and in the process if setting it up. Do they make any phase units for this?