Welding helmet

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Kay_B

Welding helmet

Post by Kay_B »

I am looking for a quality welding helmet. You need one to be lightweight and at the same time durable. I look at this article https://homemakerguide.com/best-welding-helmet/, but some models remind me of helmets of the guards from Star Wars. Can you tell me which one is better to buy?
liveaboard

Re: Welding helmet

Post by liveaboard »

1; make sure it has a replaceable battery. I bought an expensive Lincoln helmet from the professional welding supply shop, and the battery failed after a couple of years, it's sealed.
I bought a DIY store cheapo with replaceable battery and it works well.

2; the hinge. I really abhor bad helmet hinges, and most helmets have bad hinges. They fall when you want it up, and break when you tighten it, or self tighten, and/or self loosen.
It's really aggravating and dumb for such a simple basic thing to go wrong on most welding helmets 100 years after we started using welding helmets.
Well, only 40 years for me.
Maybe Harold can boast 100 years...

The DIY store helmet has a bad hinge.
The expensive Lincoln helmet does have a good hinge.
I put the DIY store screen and control knob into the dead Lincoln helmet, and welding is now a happy place.

I don't know which of the ones on your list you should buy, but those are the questions you need to ask.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Has anyone successfully hacked a battery replacement on an helmet that is sealed? I have a cheap Harbor Freight, I use it once every, maybe, 2 years but at some point the battery will fail.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I did crack mine open; it has 2 batteries soldered in.
I'd intended to order new batteries, but then decided to just be an adult and toss it. It would have probably worked, but the cost of the batteries + uncertainty + being pissed off with it for not having replaceable batteries in the first place.

I was letting it face the sun for 10-20 minutes to charge up before use, but even that stopped being effective, and when the screen doesn't darken it is not nice.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

The Harbor Freight cheapest welding helmet just leave them out in the sun and it recharges the batteries I've had mine for 5 plus years no problems, just used it this weekend
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I did not know is solar recharged, don't' recall reading in the instruction. Don't recall reading the instructions either.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Craig

Post by Craig »

My HF helmet would not recharge. Look at U Tube for battery modification. I placed my batteries where they are accessible similar to the video.
I also have the Lincoln 2450 helmet it is a little pricey, however it is an amazing helmet.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thanks, one can find just about anything on Utube.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I swear by Jackson helmets. I've had the same one since the 1970s and have never had anything on it break. I'm old-fashioned and don't use auto-darkening helmets. I don't trust the technology and value what little eyesight I have left.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

one can test the auto darkening with a propane torch.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

just point it at the sun and the darkening should work.

I was a nodder for many years, and resisted the autodark for a while.
I like it now; but I check it EVERY time before I use it. Hit a spark looking through at arms length so the ark is covered but you can see the glass darken, or point it at the sun (works here in Portugal!)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Edit. My current helmet is Lincoln Viking 3350 Series 2450. I do understand the resistance changing to a auto darkening helmet. I am number one at resisting change, it took me a long time to give up on my Lincoln helmets from the 50’s and 60’s. My thought was this technology has served me well for 50+ years why waste money on the new tech. Once I tried the auto lenses it was much easier for my old eyes to see. Is my helmet the best bang for the buck for home use definitely not. The review in the initial post has other great choices.