affixing an aluminum bronze bushing to steel

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

AllenH59

affixing an aluminum bronze bushing to steel

Post by AllenH59 »

Gentlemen... I want to make some new larger area centering rods for the steady on my lathe. I have some aluminum bronze to tip them with ( it is bushing stock, not welding rod), firstly, is this a good choice? and secondly, how will I attach it?. Thanks.
Allen
NP317

Re: affixing an aluminum bronze bushing to steel

Post by NP317 »

Blind drill and thread them so they are replaceable.
AL-Bronze can be difficult to solder.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A comment on threading. Under adverse conditions, it would be possible for a threaded insert to loosen. That could prove to be a real problem, as it would load the part, attempting to prevent rotation of the spindle.

The question is, would that happen?

Hard to say, but if it was up to me, I'd avoid threads. It's easy enough to make a press fit, which would also allow for replacement as required, assuming the body of each jaw was through drilled.

I can't respond to the degree of success one would achieve using aluminum bronze as a bearing, but it is very tough material. I suspect it would be an acceptable choice. Keep the steady jaws properly adjusted and lubed and I suspect it will serve admirably.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

What kind of equipment do you have access to? I have TIG welded on a layer of silicon bronze "SiB" to steel on many occasions for it to act as a bearing material or just so it's easier to grind down than a steel TIG weld.