Brass challenge

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Brass challenge

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Friend had a memento he wanted, cheap cast india brass, but sentimental. Someone else had previously tried with a regular torch and the result was still two pieces with ugly globs at the ends.

I spaced the bits out appropriately on a fire brick and clamped them down and rolled 1/8" brass brazing rod to 1/16" thick to match the sections, then cut bits to length and fitted into the gaps. I have a micro torch which let me heat areas without puddling the whole thing.

Turned out tolerably well, just need a bit of weathering and the repair will be hard to find.
DSC01192.JPG
Patio

Re: Brass challenge

Post by Patio »

Nice job Russ!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! Well done.
One thing. I suspect that it won't weather as one might hope. That's because the rod used is likely truly bronze (made of tin and copper), while the casting was likely made from brass, which contains a large percentage of zinc. Still, how nice it must be for the owner to have it back in one piece, and totally functional.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

patience of a saint..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
spro

Post by spro »

Right neat.
N.R. Davis

Post by N.R. Davis »

Played with Brazing a Black Powder Cast Brass Trigger Guard. Took about 5 hours to get an idea of what works. Normally you heat the base metal then add the rod. Kept Globbing out on me..... Got the Base Metal real close to melting and then moved the flame to the Brass Rod, melting it and touching it to the Base Metal. Flowed and blended together great. May never need to do a job like that again.... Then again I talked with a guy about a Pitted Brass Pronged Butt Plate.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Putting solder on before you heat makes it easier

Great job :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.