combination welders

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

John Evans

Re: combination welders

Post by John Evans »

AND TIG has a steep learning curve !! and if your hands are the least bit shaky your results will be poor . I have all the welding processes and stick is used very little nowadays. Small fiddly stuff gets the TIG ,fab and general repair MIG . Multi purpose machines no way ,a function quits most likely the whole machine is down. As far as I'm concerned a TIG without AC and high frequency starting is like a half of a pair of socks, great if you only have one leg !
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Ditto all points. I've never been one of those "artists" with TIG, but in years past had passable work. My hands are no longer steady enough, and I too often foul the electrode or otherwise produce less than ideal results. I find that I really have to use a good hand steady to get decent results. And I've all but given up on light aluminum.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

John Evans wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:43 pmAs far as I'm concerned a TIG without AC and high frequency starting is like a half of a pair of socks, great if you only have one leg !
I'd add liquid cooling with a size 20 torch and foot control to that.

But I guess everyone uses TIG in different ways.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I completely agree.

The only exception for liquid cooling being if you only do fairly light work or short duty cycles. And you can get away without it more on steel than aluminum. And having the option for a small air cooled torch can be nice when snaking into and working in tight spaces, though that's not been an issue for me.

I also wouldn't want to be without the foot control 98%+ of my work, but have wished more than once for a torch control when trying to work the pedal when contorted or flat on my back with side of a foot, a knee or off-hand elbow...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I had a finger contactor switch taped to my torch for years, (as well as the foot control) but couldn't remember the last time I used it, so when I bought a new torch the switch went in a box in case I ever needed it.

As you know, having someone else mash the pedal for you can work pretty well.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Sftyvlv

Post by Sftyvlv »

It all depends on what you want to do. In my experience a good quality inverter cc/cv powersource will run you a little extra money but will last for as long as you'll need it providing you take care of it.
For my own purposes my Lincoln Idealarc 250/300 will do any stick and tig (scratch start) I need and can weld all metals except those that require a high freq arc. They are relatively cheap if bought used and will work on 220 single phase.
Mind you it uses more power, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I'll probably be able to pass it down for generations.
clive

Post by clive »

I have a combination stick- tig- plasma works well for what I want, but it wasn’t cheap.