Annoying Movie Welding

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Annoying Movie Welding

Post by liveaboard »

the first emblem was probably a more accurate illustration of government 'innovation'; machine locked in place.
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

Anybody see "ALIENS"? They're making 6 ft vertical welds on some sort of space ship alloy using a cordless welder about the size of battery operated drill.
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
spro

Post by spro »

Microwave is power as is laser but the newer generations probably key sensors which follow the tip and trip if arm gets in the way. Sheeze, I don't half of what is going on now.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sci-Fi.
~RN
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

epanzella wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:59 pm Anybody see "ALIENS"? They're making 6 ft vertical welds on some sort of space ship alloy using a cordless welder about the size of battery operated drill.
Probably fusion powered and computer controlled. So basically like painting a target for an inbound missile today, just putting the visible aiming light on the seam, pulling the trigger, and moving along and any uneven hand held pace provides a perfect full pen weld using laser/plasma/etc. I mean, after all, they have starships with capable auto pilot, indistinguishable humanoid robots, and cryo sleep even in the escape pods. Not to mention the alien tech. And a handheld welder draws attention? :wink: At that point my disbelief is suspended so far away, I can't even find it... :lol:

Also, have you seen now where they can weld glass to steel and titanium (among other metals)?
Article I just quickly looked up.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The whole concept of shielding gas is lost on Hollywood.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yep. I don't worry so much about such things with futuristic sci-fi, but modern sets do aggravate on many levels. Basically it's "lots of sparks and flash" equated with whatever they want to call it. But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as SO MANY other things that even a low cost technical consultant could have avoided. In fact, I expect they've been told exactly that many times. But they don't care, it's all about the visual impact, and "their art" (nose in the air), nothing more.

But you know what aggravates me far more than that? The morons who make up our general electorate who think those vapid "artists" who quite literally pretend and lie at a VERY high level for a living have anything meaningful to say on politics or science. I guess it could be worse. They could be listening to rappers and sports figures. Oh, wait... :? :roll:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:58 am The whole concept of shielding gas is lost on Hollywood.
That's likely because most of those people are inhaling it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And then there's that Star Trek invention of transparent aluminum.

Oh Wait!! That's a real product now!
~RN