MIG Pulsing issue

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

MIG Pulsing issue

Post by ctwo »

I had a project and on my practice runs the MIG ran good. At some points on the same materials, the MIG seemed to toss tantrums with pulsing the arc, and made poor welds. I also perceived a somewhat slow fading of the current until the arc just stopped completely.

I bumped amps up from 1-2 to 2-1, and that obviously increased arc penetration and consistency, but burned holes...

I'm not sure what is happening there.

I was mostly wondering what could be happening if the wire just stops melting and pushes my gun away at some points. I tried cleaning with SS brush and it kept happening.

This is why I think my cheap HF mig is unreliable.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Dave_C

Re: MIG Pulsing issue

Post by Dave_C »

Ctwo,

I too ran into this exact issue with my "Cheap" Northern Tools MIG.

What I found was the wire feed mechanism was not feeding the wire constantly because of a binding problem in the feed path. The little guide that guides the wire into the feed wheels was loose and would slide into the wire feed wheel and then back out. So that made my arc jump, sputter and sometimes stop.

I fixed the guide, fixed the friction on the wire spool and now it welds very nice, just not too long at one time! (I put some stick on felt behind the spool holder for drag [instead of the bare metal contact] and that lets me adjust the tension on the wire better)

So now I run the larger spools and so far it is still working well,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Make sure your wire and tip match, and be sure the tip isn't obstructed by spatter.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

There are a few things I would look at. Is the drive wheel matching the wire size? Is the drive wheel tension correct? Is the feed hose getting dirty causing friction?

I have heard of people using various items to "clean" the wire before it goes into the drive wheel and hose. I had my daughter make a fabric cover for my wire feed as well as plasma cutter just due to the dust etc that gets into the shop.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

As others said:
Good & correct size contact tip.
Good ground....preferably connected directly to the work.
Roll of wire isn't hanging up, or backlashing.
Drive rollers in the correct groove, and proper tension. Too much tension can mess things up too.
A worn out liner in the gun. I just changed one of mine for the same symptoms.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I had feed problems, I actually had to read the manual. Pretty awful.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

On my Hobart 140 wire-feed welder, I have found that the most common cause of inconsistent weld is when the tip gets spatter on it, which then drags on the wire.
If cleaning the tip does not resolve this issue, then replacing the tip has solved it every time.
I keep a good supply of new tips on hand, for several wire diameters.
~RN
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Buy that TIG welder!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

ctwo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:09 am I had a project and on my practice runs the MIG ran good. At some points on the same materials, the MIG seemed to toss tantrums with pulsing the arc, and made poor welds. I also perceived a somewhat slow fading of the current until the arc just stopped completely.

I bumped amps up from 1-2 to 2-1, and that obviously increased arc penetration and consistency, but burned holes...

I'm not sure what is happening there.

I was mostly wondering what could be happening if the wire just stops melting and pushes my gun away at some points. I tried cleaning with SS brush and it kept happening.

This is why I think my cheap HF mig is unreliable.
Check the duty cycle of the welder. It may be shutting down from something getting too hot. It may have a MOSFET that is not up to spec and failing.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The mig has seemed to change as I'm getting good welds with wire feed down at 1-1.5. I discovered the fan I installed has seized, and it was about 100F ambient.

I also discovered - or rather experienced - contamination. I was welding close to some plastic type of coating and the soot from that exacerbated pulsing. Sometimes it works and sometimes not so well.

A point of note - I don't weld that much. I had my grinder out doing some finish shaping, then got the welder out and all set up, and flashed myself because I still had my safety glasses on. Who welds without a helmet? Those automatic helmets are awesome! I used that hand-held shield for years. Still dreaming of a useful TIG...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 am Make sure your wire and tip match, and be sure the tip isn't obstructed by spatter.
I've run about 3 of the HF spools on this tip. I've cleaned it many times, but maybe time for a new tip. I'm so cheap!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

ctwo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 pm I've run about 3 of the HF spools on this tip. I've cleaned it many times, but maybe time for a new tip. I'm so cheap!
First thing I do when I have a problem like yours, is change the tip. Least expensive repair part there is on a MIG, and the most common problem.

And the word is not 'cheap'....it's 'frugal'.
;)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.