MIG Pulsing issue

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Re: MIG Pulsing issue

Post by ctwo »

Not buying replacements seems cheap, but I like frugal. I'll whip some up on my lathe :D
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

ctwo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:24 pm Not buying replacements seems cheap, but I like frugal. I'll whip some up on my lathe :D
There are some things that you have to have on hand. Contact tips are one of 'em.

I save the old ones. Just.....cause.....there's no such thing as junk. :)
Last thing I used a worn out one for was a nozzle in a venturi.

Last couple new bunches I bought, I got from fleaBay. $10.00 for 25, for whatever be your diameter & flavor, and free USPS. Work just as well as Tweco or Radnor tips from the local welding suppliers in town, and cost a whole lot less. Seller is Welding City. They sell on Amazon too, but their prices are higher there.
Done well with their TIG torch consumables too.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:48 pm There are some things that you have to have on hand. Contact tips are one of 'em.

I save the old ones. Just.....cause.....there's no such thing as junk. :)
Last thing I used a worn out one for was a nozzle in a venturi.
Agreed, I have packages of each for the 3 wire sizes I use. Also keep a spare nozzle gas shield as well.

I think we may share an ancestor... I save my tips as well. Best I recall last I used was to remake the sheath lock (or whatever it is) on seat release cable for my motorcycle. The little plastic dong shaped piece on the end of the cable sheath that snaps into a retainer had broken off such that with the sheath now moving freely, it couldn't pull the seat release. I though I never would get that seat off again! Anyway, the cable isn't cheap, and not available without ordering, and the broken the plastic piece looked very similar to the MIG tip in size. So I turned a reasonable analog, put a shallow pocket in the sheath side to slide the sheath into, added an OD groove to snap into the retainer clip, drilled out for the cable to slide, and finally slit it from end to end to slip over the cable. Almost all done on a 4500 lb 17x60 lathe (except the slotting done by hacksaw). There were chips in the pan bigger and heavier than that part.

Probably a better value to mow yards or gather aluminum cans for scrap and buy a new cable, but such is the sickness...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Alright, well you guys please tell me when you do find things that are junk. I'll need it for reference!

New tips will be ordered.

Thanks.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

ctwo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 pm Alright, well you guys please tell me when you do find things that are junk. I'll need it for reference!

New tips will be ordered.

Thanks.
Well......I throw away slag from cutting.

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Hmm, smelting foundry?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Of course there is such a thing as junk. It's stuff that is no longer suitable for its original purpose but contains useable parts. If it contains no useable parts it's scrap: pre-owned raw material.