Micro torch?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

10KPete

Re: Micro torch?

Post by 10KPete »

Please report back on your experiences with it!

Pete
Just tryin'
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I'll do that!
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I got my Smith Little Torch today .... what a beautiful tool! Nicely made, handles like a dream, and performs wonderfully!

It is amazing the degree of precision one can achieve with a good tool. The Little Torch is too small to do anything of significant size - I have a regular Oxy-acetylene torch for that - but for scale piping, it allows it to be worked just like welding or brazing full size pipe. I love it!

I also like the fact that it is small to get into tight places and the flame is fine enough to not melt down everything around the bit you are working on :mrgreen:

I am glad I didn't "cheap-out" and buy a clone.
pete

Post by pete »

The old cliche is that's it's a poor workman/woman who blames there tools. My view is if they can afford better whenever possible then poor tools aren't used to begin with. And the more a person cares about the end result the less likely they are to settle for less. While there's some brands that are overpriced for what they are, generaly there's more than good reasons for the price gap between dirt cheap and higher prices than we'd like. Nice to hear Smith hasn't followed the many others and cut back on the quality to meet a cheaper price point Diane.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

pete wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 pmThe old cliche is that's it's a poor workman/woman who blames their tools.
That is true Pete and I also know what "the right tool for the job" is capable of. I am a pretty good hand with an oxy-acetylene torch (in "full size practice") and found that even the smallest tip in my regular torch was like trying to drive finishing nails with a sledge hammer! In 1/4" plumbing, the Smith is the cat's meow :mrgreen:

I am 1/2 Scottish and parting with the money was hard but I got what I paid for and told Smith already :?
p pfeiffer

Post by p pfeiffer »

Here's one worth considering -- Meco Midget--www.tinmantech.com/products/welding/mec ... -torch.php